Monday, January 29, 2018

A Navel Orange for Mel

As an update, my brother Mel had a specimen of the puss from his ear taken last week and is do to have the stuff  removed this week. We don't know if it is cancer or not, but at least it appears that something is being done. On Friday, I brought him turkey legs and a Navel orange bought at Vons on Atlantic...oranges were ninety nine cents a pound.   In bed 135 B, Mel is sitting and happy to see me. Today is Mel day so the computers will have to wait till today, Monday.
   "Been under the weather Mel, that is why we can't go to Norms today. Brought you an orange and will have the cafeteria marinate the turkey legs for you. They will be served at dinner time."
    "I was looking forward to it. My this orange is good. I will be going back to the dermatologist next week. The doctor didn't think it was cancerous...Wish I could rid myself of this roommate. He never stops talking, but the nurse told me to shut up or they might ship me out."
    A nurse comes in and gives Mel a shot in the stomach for diabetes. Mel is enjoying the visit and of course the orange. Without love ones, simple things like oranges,apples and every day things are never seen again. Chances are almost one hundred percent Mel will be another body for the gurney.
    "Take you to Norms at end of the week."
     Mel inquires about my two daughters and asks me to get him a coke. This is a big treat for Mel as he lives in the twilight of this life here -- never to see a star or the sun again. Mel has outlived at least three from bed one and would have succumbed to brain cancer without my intervention.
     Mel is lucky. I have added to his meager meals for over one year. Without me, he has never seen the sun, fruit or a turkey leg. He is somewhat slimmer and now wishes to do something about his lazy fatty tissue eye lid.
      Mark Twin states that one can't judge a book by its cover. How would you like to be at the mercy of some fleabag doctor who wields the power of life or death over everyone.

On Sunday, I needed a cool place and why not the Waterfront Ocean Resort, a division of Hilton.
It took me a few minutes before pure air infiltrated my lungs. My apartment is a typical match stick flat roof and no insulation. I need to stoke up on meds during any freakish heat wave with crazy winds.
   A yellow cab, leased by Access, takes me to the Hilton. Catalina is so close I can almost touch it. I still find it hard to believe that Mel's ear infection was treated with drops by a Dr. Jennings when it appeared that he needed the small boil removed.
   I fill my tall dark with lots of milk and three small bottles of honey. It jakes up my body while I read the paper and watch the howling winds. The trailers begin to exit the lot as hot dusty winds are not what these explorers had in mind.
   I read the paper and every-so-often peek outside. I buy some spaghetti and meat balls and immediately, there is life in my bones...After a few minutes I go to another restaurant and enjoy an eggs burrito. My stomach filled, I sit back and watch the frolic in front of me. Hot weather and alcohol go hand in hand.  Inside the factory, there are lines everywhere, but mainly where the booze flows freely.
   I return to the Waterfront Hilton to get ready for my Access ride home. The $3,60 is a small price to pay to avoid the devilish heat wave of today.

Nuts and Bolts for today: Never send anyone to a nursing home, no matter how good, There is no place like home. Just ask my Mom who outlived her doctor for five years while she battled Leukemia.



   
    

No comments:

Post a Comment