Monday, January 22, 2018

What is wrong with Nursing homes..

A week and a half ago, before I traveled to Beverly Hills, I met with a committee to overview my brother's medical care. Nurse David told me that my brother Mel came here with brain cancer, caused by an untreated ear over two years ago. His Royal Pacific doctor treated him with ear drops.  Mel had had this ear infection-going on now for over two years...The Huntington Hospital treated him for several problems, including an ear infection. Mel was handed off to the  The Sea Cliff Health Care Center, on Florida Street in Huntington Beach. He still suffered with head aches on the side of the ear problem and an earlier doctor drilled inside ear!   
   
The Sea Cliff meeting was held in the family room. In attendance were Barbara, Christie , the records lady, the activities director and Kelly, the nutritionist.
  With a bag of Doritos, the activities director sat by the door and munched on her chips. Barbara, the ombudsman sat on a chair concerned about a sick one at home. Christie the social worker sat on a couch next to the lady with the Mel's file. . The time was one twenty five p.m., two Wednesdays ago
    "I still don't know what my brother is being treated for and who is doctor is.  He has been here now for over about one and a half years and is finally being treated for his ear problem. Why?"          There... was... a... long... silence. 
    "His name is ah... Nasser." spoke Christie,  the social worker. Again a long pause.
     "Might his first name be Joseph. He had billed my brother over twenty times...but either of us have ever seen the doctor who has prescribed all of his medication.  
     "Just maybe every time the P.N enters the room, Nasser uses the visit as his."  piped up Christie,  the social worker.
      "Yes, he bills my brother for over $400 a visit but Medical pays for only a piece of it."
      "He is lucky," interrupted Barbara, the ombudsman, barely concerned. Medical pays for as little as the need to.. All awhile, Kelly is listening without any reaction and the activities director is still munching on her Doritos. 
      "But how is his brain cancer being treated."
       The lady with the charts looks over her box of files. Her English is barely passable. 
        "The medical papers state nothing about brain cancer or ear infection."
        This time there is a long silence. I feel as if I am being stonewalled for a cover-up that reverts to the time Mel spent in the Pacific Spartan assistant living apartments. At almost two o'clock, the meeting finished, I called them back.
       "Thank you Kelly for the turkey sandwiches...can you please also serve Mel ice berg lettuce."

     I returned to room 135 B and saw that Mel was eating the Panda yellow chicken I had brought. I walked the rest of the way home to my Magnolia Beach apartments in the knowledge that I stood up for my brother. It felt good to rid myself of this draconian nursing center on Florida Street.  On my way home on Garfield Blvd, I enjoyed my walk though God's two miles of trees and flowers.
     Just maybe there had been a cover up by Mel's primary doctor to insure that Dr. Jennings and the Pacific Living would not be implicated 
    

  Nuts and Bolts for today: At bible study, my Rabbi  spoke about how life is like refining iron ore to make a perfect steel casting. 
      
            
    

No comments:

Post a Comment