Wednesday, January 25, 2017

A Huntington Beach Amigo

"Hey Pedro, save me a place...nice to see you."
 A blast of cold wind blew me into the Wal-Mart store of Talbert and across from the Good Shepard Cemetery. An Alaskan cold front stopped in Surf City unloaded three inches of rain on the city. It felt good that I had survived but the evening's forty degree temps told me to take it easy this Monday. After a visit to the Wal-Mart restroom area, I returned and Pedro offered a chair in front of Mac Donald's restaurant.
  "Can I get you a breakfast Pedro?"
  "No, I already ate, but thanks."
  "Small senior coffee please."
  The Mac Donald's worker returned eight pennies from my dollar bill. The fast food eatery hires mainly Latina servers, like almost all fast foods -- except In-And-Out. Pedro sat milking a cup of coffee and removed his knap sack from the seat next to him. The long bristles of hair told me he needed a good shave. A dark black gap in the two front teeth told me they had chipped off. No longer was there a flicker of a smile.
  I dipped two sugars in my coffee and placed a lid on top, making sure it held snuggly while I placed a straw inside a hole. It felt good to see my buddy who had lived outside but not really homeless. He stayed in back of the baseball diamonds on Talbert and shared space with the shrubs,  squirrels and garden snakes. Coffee was his breakfast and a cold can of soup of sandwich made up his dinner.
   "Who did you vote for Pedro?"
   "Trump, he is quick on the draw but at least he is honest...unlike the last President. Can't stand all of these people going to city hall for a rally. They should indeed brush up on their English so they would know who to vote for."
    "You told me that you were born in Texas, right?"
     "Yes, Dad had been a hired hand until he came to Huntington Beach. Even though he carried his birth certificate, he didn't have the twenty dollars to take the test for citizenship. What you here fro George?"
     "Got to get underwear. and a beany. Shut out of the laundry room since the roof leaked inside the Five Points Senior Center...Are you waiting for the library to open at one?"
      "No, got to get to the free city dentist on Newman. My teeth are killing me and they need to be removed. Afterwards, I will the 24 hour fitness to shower and shave."
       "You are old enough. Why didn't you apply for social security?"
       "Paid only half in...but I will get buy."
      "Well, got to get my Haines and a beany. Afterwards,  I will get my eight dollar hair cut at the Garfield Avenue exit.

After I had bought two cans of Progresso soup and a bunch of underwear, I walked to the bus stop across from the Habit Hamburger and Kaiser. The 29 bus arrived and I took up  seat. a girl with Turrets gave me the eye, and what large bulging eyes.
  I had seen her often on the #29 bus that I take to the Senior Center. her feet and hands are in constant motion but there I felt that I had to meet her and would most assuredly provide my e-mail. I said good-by to the tall blond with the long hair and descended to the street.
 My day ended with a great short haircut but I did have to wait too long for my bus ride home.
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment