Friday, October 28, 2016

The Huntington Beach Senior Center.

"Mam, you don't need makeup -- your red lips is all you need."
     The petite Asian lady sat at the table in the back next to the coffee and water. Another Islander tried to sell her some makeup and that was my cue -- and I don't mean billiards. Well I saw her again but this time the little lady with those bright red lips spoke to me.
      The piano at the Huntington Senior Center is wedged in between the activity rooms and the registration desk. I love to play the one hundred year old piano every time I enter the new building off of Talbert, just west of the Central Library. The dark Red Lips spoke to me during our lunch at new Senior Center.
       "Where did you learn to play the piano so well. You sound great."
       "Well Mrs. Red Lips, as your gift is knowing how to paint your lips, my gift is playing the white keys on the piano. I never need to think since my fingers do it all for me...and by the way, do you have any more of those guavas?"(She had passed the fruit out to all but me.)
        "Listen, just show up for Halloween on Monday, and I'l have a bag for you. My back yard tree is just loaded with the fruit, and as you probably know, it is good for your stomach."
         Red Lipstick told me that she worked as a nurse in Newport Beach and continued to make small talk with me. She looked lively and when I saw the red sport's car she drove, I wished to paint my lips a bright red too.
Besides the piano, I enjoy mixing it up with other seniors and enjoying the food. When my pockets are bare, I don't even have to pay for the food, although they suggest a three collar contribution. For those under 62, it is five dollars.
   Well today, the eighteenth of October, I felt particularly fine before our plate of meat loaf, mashed potatoes and carrots was served. The Swede had placed a dollar on the piano, as usual and some dang gal placed another bill on top of his. I had been playing songs from Oklahoma and My Fair Lady and several old denizens had sat behind me.
    When got up to leave, I took another look at the bill. Well you just wouldn't believe it but Alexander Hamilton smiled at me -- it was a wrinkled bill with a phone number written with red ink on it.
    But as I got all the attention in the piano room, the Swede got his at our table. A gal with a a lot of meat and potato on her frame came up to him and gave Andy a long warm hug. I felt cheated.
     "Mam, I need a hug today. They returned my brother Mel from emergency. He had had a tooth ache...and what is your name may I ask your name."
      "Why Mr. Blue Eyes, my knick name is Honey Bunny. She came over and gave me such a hug and I had trouble detaching from her great trunk. Now I must have made an impression on her since when I left, the married lady ran after me.
       "You forgot to say good-by. Just give me another hug and I will let you go!"
No longer depressed, I am tickled to death that I decided to go on two buses to the Senior Center, where it looks as if I have a following."
        Bonnie came after me early on and I played some songs from Phantom of the Opera.  
        
   
       
       
       
       
red lips spoke to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment