Monday, October 31, 2016

Huntington Beach Halloween for Donna

I still remember what my Cantor from San Diego told his members. Life is 95 percent bull shit and five percent worth living. No doubt m time spent in his Jewish Sanctuary on Bolsa Chica and Warner is a part of my five percent. Today's post is about a Halloween lunch-party at the new Senior Center in Huntington Beach. 

 A wheel-chaired lady is pushed towards a table, but nobody gives them permission to sit at their table's  Senior Center  Halloween lunch. Her daughter steers he Mom my way with one hand  on the handles and the other her smart phone. Her mother seems lost and anxious to leave.
   "You are welcomed to sit at my table."The disgruntled daughter smiles and her hand accepts the my invitation. Our table sits six and we have one empty space today. Our back table accepts those willing to partake in laughter and fun. I make them sign a paper releasing us if they die of laughter while choking on food.
  " Told  Mom  she had to get out of my house. All she does is watch game shows...my name is Debra and this is my Mom Donna."
   "My pleasure to meet you. May I help you with her chair. No I'll fold the wheel chair and place it beside her. I'll be back later, after the lunch.." "By Mom."
    Soon Andrew the Swede sits down and hands me two aviation magazines. He made  parts for a the planes during the Korean and Vietnam Wars. He began the business in 1976 when he employed thirty workers inside his Huntington Beach plant.  He is well dressed and as always wears tight upgraded blue jeans and a blue shirt. He smiles while I introduce Donna to him.
    "So Donna, what brings you here to the Senior Center?"
     "I live with my daughter now.  I used to live in Lakewood and before that Anaheim. My doctor took my driver's license from me!"
      "Why,... may I ask?"
      "I can't remember anything these days and have no patience for bingo. It and bridge bore me. Earlier I had a weight problem so my two knees needed replacement."
       Donna begins to smile. By ten o'clock the other five tables are full. Tina asks me permission for her friends to sit at the "funny table," named by Irene who is not present.  Tony  and I make the table rock and roll...And speaking of Tommy, he has just arrived and squeezes in. He had been taking a exercise class with a long stick outside.
        Tommy is tall husky. He played basketball for Loyola Marymont and  average 16 and one half points a day before he graduated and got a job for the Boy's Club of America. He also worked as an administrator for Octa, or the Orange County Transit authority
        "Let me introduce you to Donna Tommy...By the way I wondered Donna if your were a fan of walking and staying out in the sun. A girl friend of mine has severe dementia and never introduced herself to Mr. Sun."
         "I was a stay at home Mom and took care of my two daughters and two boys. One died at twenty five due to renal failure. He had complained of a foul odor from his mouth and the doctors gave him medicine that did not work. I have been fond of salsa and the only time I tried to ride a bike I fell off and never again approached those handle bars."
          "Tell me about your husband. When did he die?"
          "Fourteen years ago at 70. I am eighty years old...We had a good marriage. He did not gamble smoke or drink., but I had to do it his way, 'or else'. By that time the volunteers began to serve the pot roast with salad and potatoes. I placed her on her wheel chair and swung her around to the sounds of the computerized two piece band. The two piece band were playing Donna.  After the senior lunch, I feel invigorated and  write the above which you have read. But it was a story about a synagogue member that I wish to remember and write about it now.

Rabbi Birkowitz, of Temple Israel,reminded us that  we should honor our pledges to honor God and change some of our bad habits during this month of October...After a long morning of prayer, I looked forward to a the kiddish when a family member observes and date of death of a family member. it is called "Yahreitz"
  After the morning service, a member sometimes honors a father or mother by donating money for a lavish lunch in the dinning area. Sliced lox, herring, salads, cakes, pickles and olives and a drum full of beans are placed at the table and Rebe Birkowitz gives the blessing before the hungry mass scrambles to pick up a plate and their favorite food.
   "David, will you speak about your Dad...Please people, stop talking and take a seat." f
   The Reb continues to beg for quiet but some have already had their share of spirits to relax and savor the gamely feast on the table. David is tan, well tan, and speaks English using a Iranian accent.
     " My Dad's Dad died when he was only five years of age. He was thrown into the street and had to work and beg at an early age. The Mullahs forbade us to own stores so we carried our wares on our back in a small Iranian town. 
"My Dad, like many, bought fabric from larger store but did not pay for it. The carried the fabric by donkey from village to village. My Dad had a good friend in one of these towns, and while he was enjoying his company, a distraught Jewish merchant walked into the store. 
 'Have a problem. I sold fabric to a lady and now she wishes to return the pieces, all of them. I have already cut them up and can't take all of them without suffering a loss."
  "While speaking, a mullah gets off his donkey and listens in. The Mullah is he Moselle leader in the community and tells us that a Moslem's word is the law. He upbraids the seller and tells him to return the money to the buyer, since she is a Moslem."
    "That evening, my Dad can't sleep. the owner of the  house  has each person sleeping in a different room. In one room is the owners young daughter, the Mullah in another, and David's dad and his owner friend in one."
     "My Dad was restless that evening so for some reason he entered the girls room. The young pretty girl shouts and he scurries back to his bedroom. The owner enters and and asks him why he had entered the bedroom of his daughter. Just then, his daughter, Marian thunders into the room with the headdress of the Mullah." 
      "The Dad scampers into the room of the head of the mosque. Besides the bearded man is  his sword. He grabs it and is about to take off his head when David's Dad intercepts his hand and tells all now,  that it was him." 
       "Now Marian intercedes and tells her father it was her who had invited him to her bedchamber." 
       It was now one o'clock and had to leave before the end had been told by David. Yet I remember what this month is all about, and it is about doing things differently and taking chances.
         
     
   
   

 
 



     
   
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment