Thursday, October 27, 2016

Huntington Beach Halloween Story

Dragging their feet, that's right...those in charge of the health and sanity of my brother are taking their diddly time about it. At least he is eating better now, now that I grill his hamburgers at home, and use a Trader Joe's onion and bun it over a Trader Joe's bun.
   Why two days ago for dinner he was served a little sliced plane pizza, and of course with a little juice glass and a milk. Last night it was a few macaroni  strands and again the milk carton and the juice. Of course I had brought him his filler, the nice Trader Joe's hamburger so he would not starve to death.
   Today I feel like singing. I treated myself to a Trader Joe's 12 ounces of uncured Black Forrest Bacon, and fried a few Trader Joe eggs to keep the bacon company. You just can't beat Trader Joe's bacon. The fresh bread I bought from the Java, straight out of the oven.
   Last night's call from Connie Glickman made my day. She telephoned me to let me know that the Pico Bag Lady was now out of her house. The Bag Lady, earlier in the year, tricked her in allowing her to rent a room inside her Beverly Wood home. Unknown to Glickman, was that the bag lady had an arrest record and had been going from house to house for many years.
   "We paid her off...One thousand to leave the house. At least I can rest in peace now and allow my bruises to heal. The West L.A. police bungled the arrest early in the year when she threw me to the ground. They came but told me they needed hard evidence to arrest her."
    Now you can see why I felt so happy and ate bacon for the first time in one month. The Bag Lady of Pico went by several names, but I called her Susie the Slicer. She had cut up the couch and placed salt everywhere. She stole from the refrigerator and made Connie's life a nightmare.
But back to my brother Mel. His head still hurt and he could not move his neck without pain. I even went to the Huntington Hospital to complain to Tony, a supervisor there. His discharge papers warned that if the ear infection got to the point where he could not move his head, the alarm the doctors.And that is what I did. I do believe there must have been a cover up, since a Dr. Jennings from Happy Trails Senior Apartments should have cured Mel's ear problem moons ago. 
   Nurse David told me that his doctor informed him of the brain cancer. I will never forget what the social worker told me a week after Mel had been admitted to the health center.
   "Mel is walking now so that we will be sending him back to Henry Goodfellow and is assistant living facility now."
    "That is the trouble with all of you young kids. You move the pieces without thinking. Mel needs to verify that his ear infection is cleared to go. He still has pain in his neck."
 Just to much trouble for me lately, so I needed to change gears. On Saturday, I bused it to the air show. The Thunder Birds would do their devilish dances in the air. But for me, it was a perfect day. You could touch Catalina Island if you owned a wide view camera  The sets broke from way back and it was a thrill to watch the surfers catch the wave and zing in and out of the while water until the wave had vanished.
   No matter what the age, these lads were in tip top shape. The one in front of me did a few handstands after he had slipped on the wet suit and pranced gingerly into the white water and ducked when a wave came his way. Timing when to caress the wave was crucial. I had seen an ambulance take a swimmer away with a board to hold his neck in place. At least he could still wave his hands to signal all was well.
   The boardwalk or concrete walk was an avalanche of beach goers walling south to Beach to watch the (not finished.)

No comments:

Post a Comment