Friday, October 7, 2016

A Tree Grows in Huntington Beach

"You don't need to go  to Brooklyn to become a Jew." 
   Two weeks ago, Rabbi Berkowitz uttered these profound words inside his synagogue on Warner Avenue in he booster shot of religion began over one year ago, October 14th,to be exact, and I feel like a mighty Jewish Oak Tree every where I go. .
   My Jewish train ride began in San Diego about five years ago when I entered a Chabad on Third and Island in San Diego. I began learning Judaic law inside this small store front that back up to a Chinese cleaners. After my move to Huntington Beach, I remembered that my San Diego Rabbi told me he had a rabbi cousin  also living in Surf City,
   Back in October of last year, I suffered a crises, so strong on the 13th of October, that my heart beat like a symphonic kettle drum. The thought of a heart attack came over me when I remembered what Rabbi Carlback had told me back in San Diego..
   "My cousin has a Chabad  in Huntington Beach. Visit the sanctuary when you move there."
Five minutes , yes five minutes inside the Air conditioned synagogue was all I needed. My heart now sang like a piccolo and I put the thirteenth of October behind me. The little old bearded Rabbi had a smile I could never forget. Not only could he look and speak like a  Jewish Rabbi, but his anecdotes about the theme or Pasha of the day put into a spell that soften each day. .
  Now that was about one year ago. I now read from the Torah and bless my seeds or children on each Saturday, It is my way t shield off the thoughts of a car stolen, and the kiddish has provided me with the nourishment needed to finish the month..
  It takes me four buses to arrive there on Warner. There is always a seat and the friendly faces of Benny, Kenny and a few others to help me forget my problems. A mixed salad, beans, horse radish , bread, chips pickles and herring, salmon make up the feast that begins at about twelve thirty. I even have forgotten about my car Dolly, stolen from my apartment building.
   There is something to be said about chasing buses to bring one closer to God but the time and wait is worth it. I can read and study waiting or taking a bus ride to and from the synagogue each Saturday. and hopefully will get a car soon.
    The Saturday services begin at nine o'clock and end with kids singing "Ankaylohano" or something like that. It is great seeing a kid of five reading from the Torah. To me it feels like a picnic in the park but instead of food, the words clean my soul with their content. A word i have  become familiar with is Yahrzeit, or the week before the birthday of one deceased. S speech is made by a family member about their loved one. For this year, I hope to speak and understand Hebrew and spread the word of Hashem to Jews throughout the world. 
    Happy Yom Kipper. Of course I have become the mighty Oak Tree whose fruit will be blessed and mightier than me. And you don't need to go to Brookly to become a Jew, it is right here is Surf City U.S.A.  
   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment