Monday, June 15, 2015

Break Dancing in Santa Monica

After working in the Beverly Hills Library, I walked across the street and waited for the Rapid 704 Santa Monica bus. I can't remember having so much fun on a bus ride to Santa Monica. Santa Monica is a unique city that brings people of all tribes together to have fun, even if too old to ride the merry-go-round with me. 
  After saying "hello" to a new hotel Waldorf Astoria now being dug beside the Beverly Hilton, My fifty cents worth dropped me off on Fourth and Broadway. I had long before digested my hard boiled eggs and banana and my stomach ached for company. 
  I smelled meat and fresh at that. I turned the corner and stopped. No, it did not smell like a Big Mac or some other hamburger joint. It was a glass opened air restaurant with a smell that I could not say no to. Its name, the Steak n' Shake was plastered on every wall - even the one in the hallway to the bathrooms. 
   I paid about eight for the sandwich and fries and took a seat with my mechanical vibrator with the seven on it. The joint at just after two was mobbed. A long line had formed after I ordered. I waited at my table and enjoyed the scene outside on the Third Street promenade. 
   Just then an old man, older than time. slithered inside looking for a place for his cane. He must have been pushing 100. I could not get his attention and couldn't hear but i motioned to my lonely table. I am sure that the smell of steak that had just been grounded caught his palate. 
   I tried to engage him in a conversation, but he resisted. He enjoyed the Third Street scene. My hamburger now served, I tried to pick it up and the bottom bun collapsed with the weight of the meat and onions. I asked a waitress for a knife and fork but didn't mind and I took my good time to cut and languish with each bite. 
   Later I bought some four dollar shorts from the large thrift shop on the corner of Sixth and Santa Monica. The #7 Blue returned me to Ocean Blvd. Food trucks covered the curbs with an assortment of waffles n'cream, burritos, and large hot doggies. And these owners were gathering the money as fast at the food could be made. 
 Off towards the pier I a large crowed had assembled. Break dancing routines were done to a packed house of tourists. Of course the hat was passed around after each performance. I meandered to the volleyball courts where I found out an event had been sponsored earlier for Bobby Barber. Some of the greats spoke about him and there was plenty of food to go around. There will be a volleyball game celebration later. 
  I plastered myself with sun screen for the second time. It was that hot and took the number 7 Blue back to my daughter's abode. Again, there was something about the Santa Monica air that made me aware if how toxic the air is in San Diego. 

1 comment:

  1. The beach air and scenery that takes your eyes all the way to Malibu is simply divine.

    ReplyDelete