Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Surf City, The surf is up!

Yesterday I took the crowded #36 bus in the afternoon to pick up my cards. The surf again was up on a beautiful windy day. The bus driver first needed to send the wheel chair ramp to ground level. The heavy wheel chair advanced and took a hard left to be strapped in. It took up five spots. Several bearded ones came aboard along with some holding canes.
   A homeless man who sat next to me began coughing and picking his nose. I placed my nose mask on and continued to edit my football story. The late afternoon bus trudged up Newport Blvd until Point Loma Drive and made a left. I said hello to the San Diego River as it spilled out into Mission Bay.
  I got off rested and made my way up Newton to BK printing. To my right was Mallory's Antiques and the Chinese Restaurant, a shell store, Surf and Skate, a Tattoo Shop, Ear Piercing, a couple of bars and the Old movie house called the Strand. 
  Unlike yesterday, there was no fog and a bright sun. Unlike yesterday morning when my battery jumped higher than the sky, I made it to BK printing. A couple stopped me and asked if the City owned any bathrooms.
   "Keep going and make a right at the Board Walk. On the other side of the lifeguard station you'll find the bathrooms. Make sure to close your nose and wear shoes before the stench grabs you too. Take a newspaper in case there is no toilet paper."
   "We are also looking for a place to stay. How is that Beach Hotel to the right."
   "It charges too much for too little. Your best bed is to Hotel Circle and stay at the Motel Six. You get a lot for from $53-62 dollars and a view from the four floor"
    The left and I tried to remember when several sailors lost their lives in a bad storm. Again I smelled ribs close to the BK Printing but my budget would not allow it. I picked up my 500 cards and slowly returned to the #35 bus stop. I needed to get back by five to eat with Sam the Taxi man. He would be bringing Wild Salmon bought at the Grocery Outlet.
    I picked up my waiting car at the Old Town parking lot and entered Pacific Highway. I tried to avoid the dips and pebbles on the road. Many streets remind me of Rocky Road candy. In God's name I don't know why the roads are so laden with pits and crevices but the sonsofbitches in City Hall should cover the streets like Taylor with hunks of Milk Chocolate. In fact, it might be a good idea to have the sonsofbitches of San Diego's City Hall eat a bar of Ex-lax.
    Taylor Street reminded me of the bump cars at amusement park. The railroad crossing had so many white lines covering the tracks that I stopped at the first double. Thank God my ears work as many seniors don't hear the sounds of the bells or the train's approach. Too bad a subway was not built but the oil companies would not have allowed it.



I returned to my room with a view at about five o'clock. My buddy Sam-the-Taxi-man would arrive soon to my Motel Six room. He brought me smoked Salmon and several just-hatched-big-hard-boiled eggs...and of course several bananas...Outside I could hear the Green Line trolleys skirting the rails on the other side of the San Diego River. Faintly, ever so faintly the conductor, I heard singing, Old Man River. 

No comments:

Post a Comment