Friday, February 13, 2015

Balboa Park-a Lovely Valentine Day-Dance

Yesterday was a Red Flag Day-at last for one who has suffered with Asthma since the age of five. Even the mask I wore over my nose and mouth didn't help. I spent the first part of the day at the Harbor Sheraton Hotel. I needed to take a nap at the Mission Hotel Six since my nose began to water and my head throb. The dust and pollen covered my lungs.

    Yet I still made it to the one o'clock Balboa Club Senior dance. An earlier tuna sandwich would have to do until the Harper Band took its break. The temperatures today would break records, but still I had the energy to play their old piano to the left of the entrance. I thanked Sylvia Stringer for her compliments. She thought my piano playing was good enough to join an orchestra - but that is my hobby and writing is my job. 
     I took a table in the back and sprayed my chest with medication. Two couples sat down at my table. One lived in San Bernardo and the others in Del Mar. Del Mar Fred spoke up when I told him that I came from West Los Angeles. 
   "Well I grew up in Mar Vista. We shopped at the Ranch Market just like you, and I attended Hamilton High. My oh my, has that school changed. I remember returning from a game at Hamilton when some kids broke every window in our bus."  
    "May I ask if you are retired.?"
     "I worked selling Mercedes Benz's for thirty years. I made enough to go on trips with my German wife."
     Just then a speaker drew numbers for the door prize. Mabel , married to Bill, stood up and returned with with another door prize. This one was a box of chocolates. The lovely couple lived in Chula -Vista, close to the border. After the break, the Harper Band played Lets Fall in Love followed by Sentimental Journey. 
    Since I was the only one without a wife, I became depressed. I remembered the first gal I had fallen head-over-heals for. Her name was Betty Bumpers. I met the love of my life on December Ninth of 2008. Let me describe my Lovely Valentine Day. 
  
 I had been going to the Alpine Village for dance and romance forever. The Ballroom dance group were the Blue Birds. It was about nine o'clock when I heard a loud cracking noise just off the ballroom floor. The noise came from a table off the dance floor. I walked up to the chatter box after excusing myself from my partner. I peered down at this little red headed one. There was something about her face, yes her face, that reminded me of Grandma Rachel. 
   "Mam, would you do me the honor of accompanying me to the dance floor." "But I have not danced in forty-two years." "No problem, I will lead you." The band played my Irving Berlin favorite Always 
    Was I in dream land.? She was a little thing, no more than five feet two. But what she lacked in size she made up for it with a gorgeous hour glass figure. But it was her face. No it wasn't cutest, but reminded me of my own Grandma, except her nose, yes her nose fascinated me. One gal later thought it to be the nose of a dog. She looked up at me with her gorgeous Hazel eyes. 
   Well I don't wish to bore you to death but we dated off-and-on for two years. And today, just for today, I wish Betty sat besides me. I walked to go to the bathroom.  I felt a jolt on my shoulder. It was a gal I had met in the Nuts and Bolts Club in Encinitas. 
   "Dear sir. would you kindly dance with me?" Well...ah. "Pretty please...My name is Rebecca." Who could refuse a damsel in distress. The band played Tea for Two and we did a swing to it. She gave me a look and quivered and remarked, "You do something to me...and it is exciting." I gave her my card and danced to I'll Be Loving you  with Linda. 
    Now Linda could easily have been a Linda Doll. Everything looked too perfect for this lass of 75 years, but that is what happens when dance and a good partner makes you look a lot young. 

   At this time, I would like to give my two daughters, Lauren and Lindsay a line or two but not here. My two grandchildren Olivia and Allison also I do wish my Valentines love for eternity. (Not edited yet.)


2 comments:

  1. So far, I have not met any gal with Betty's measurements or personality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish my family, some in heaven and plenty on earth the happiest love day of you life.

    ReplyDelete