Tuesday, July 15, 2014

San Diego on a Shoe String.

Four years ago, I moved into the San Diego area. I managed to clip and paste a new way of life for me, on a skimpy retirement check. Four years later, I have learned to be happier on less. In my last post, I described how I saved money by going to a reliable mechanic.
   Cars can, and are a headache to drive. There is no doubt about that. I made a big mistake two weeks ago. I drove on a Sunday in San Diego. I did not know the stop and go traffic would tweak my air conditioner. But like my daughter has told me a thousand times, with the good comes the bad.
   Whereas a Chevy dealer wished to charge over a thousand dollars to fix my A/C condenser, I took a chance. And what is life without taking a chance now and then. It was the Mobile Station in Encinitas, just east of the 5 Freeway underpass. Now my car Dolly had new hoses and belts, and would you believe my wallet still had money left over. It cost me a bit over $400.
Yet without a doubt, the $41.25 cent Compass Card has kept my laces in my shoes. My shoes have become my driver. I can go on the Coaster, Trolleys, all buses at any time. All I need to do is bump the card on a gadget. There are also, six Amtrak trains that are included in the compass card. Nothing can be finer than to take the liner in the morning. Two leave from Santa Fe Station at about half past eight and ten.
   Yes the #567 Amtrak gives me the lift I sorely need during the day. Yes, I have worn out several pairs of shoes, but my blood pressure is normal now. And he ride you ask? Amtrak #567 provides ample seating for those 62 or disabled like me. I can spread my left, slide a curtain to hide the sun, and even brush my teeth in its bath.
Food is no longer expensive. I joined Costco two years ago and feasted on Kirkland Albacore Tuna. The package is only $14 for eight, I said eight large cans. Oh yes, it cost about $50 to join. I buy a salad and other stuff at Ralph's. Nobody can beat their variety of lettuce heads for ninety nine cents. I buy my vegetables at Ralph's but never  their produce.
   Every-so-often, when my funds are low, I eat lunch at the Encinitas Senior Center.  It is not much but with little money, I made my 62 years of age donation at a later time. Whole Foods on C Street has a nice buffet for a few bucks, but the best value for the least is the Tip Top Restaurant in Carlsbad.
   Four years ago, the Motel Six across the street directed me there. Go only when hungry for the freshest beef in the land. I told a friend once that "They kill the cows in the back and feed the meat to the ones in the front."
    Many come for the Tip Top's all-you-can-eat breakfast. The Big John is a little more than seven dollars but you can order more seconds of their lean bacon, sausages or other meats. Many retirees bring their grandmothers black purse and allow extras to flow inside before going home.
    Yet I have saved the best for last. Vince's Grand Market in the rear of the Tip Top offers the best home-grown fruit and vegetables in the land. Hundreds enter to lunch on the best buffet this side of the Number Five Freeway.
    There is nary a fat one in the bunch as they munch on fresh strawberries, avocados, and a bevy of fruits, meats and vegetables. And get this, it is all for only $5.95 a pound. Let me repeat, $5.95 for a pound.
Got go now. I need to get to my trunk and unload my tuna sandwich and cherries for a late breakfast. That is right. I have given up breakfast now and then so my belly can afford The Big Bad John Breakfast. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment