Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Four of July at Moonlight State Beach

A sea of boogie boards, surf boards, kayaks, volleyballs, tents, volleyballs, footballs and all-sorts-of balls arrived early to Moonlight State Beach.
   You would have thought July fourth came early -- and you would be right on. Barbecues worked on hot dogs, burgers, corn cobs, and other types of meats. Over the several barbecue pits the smell of fire called everyone for the celebration of the Fourth of July. Everywhere mothers carried babies for their first look at the surf. In-tow eagerly walked there other children ready to put their toes in the surf.
   Every nationality arrived. Beach chairs surrounded the barbecues. One group of Latinos went into the ocean fully clothed. Two weeks early two were pulled out-a bit too late. A few played soccer while others hit the volleyball courts.
   Small kids played on swings and slides, or other rides. New fathers and mothers enjoyed watching these new additions to their family.
 I have been enjoying this Encinitas Beach now for four years-and no wonder. It is a lovely cove surrounded by mountains of flowers and several species of birds. A lovely Botanical garden is in back with a pool of tadpoles and a tennis court. Since I feel like a pizza, come with me to the new food shack across from the barbecue pits.
   "Can I order a pizza, chips and a coke." I gave the clerk six dollars and walked over to the brand new bathrooms. The older ones were cesspools of dirty water and foul odors. You were lucky if your toilet was not stopped up or had toilet paper. I often thought there should have been a sign reading: enter at your own risk.
   I picked up my order and looked over the beach. The barbecue pits were going full blast. More beach fans walked down a path from the parking lot above. Unless arriving early, you'll never get a spot and have to park at the Encinitas commuter station up above. But Mr. Blue eyes had enough rays. I felt hungry.
   I retreaded my steps up the hilly-walk-way to my car. Fish and Chips would be my treat at Keno's, one of the less expensive iconic eateries in Leucadia. On my way on Highway 101, I saw that the Old Palomar Theater featured the Indian film, The Lunch Box. It would be my second time to see this wonderful film. It was about the food of love. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment