Monday, July 7, 2014

Broadway, San Diego

Each time I sit on the steps of the downtown 'Y', Picasso paints a another picture. One Sunday morning-awhile back outside my window, I heard thunderous rock-and-roll music.  It was the Rock-and-Roll San Diego Marathon Race.
Rock-and-Roll Marathon 
 This picture was taken to the right of the 'Y's steps. It depicts part of what I call Banker's Corner. Three banks sit overhead lording it over us. San Diego calls it American Plaza
  it is also the beginning of the The Blue and Green Line Trolleys. The Blue Line is well tested and brings thousands from Tijuana to San Diego every day.  
 The 992 airport bus is to the very left of the picture.  It runs every 15 minutes during the day. I take it to go to Lindbergh Field when there is a Red Flag Alert. Few of the many San Diego hotels are air-conditioned.
  I call San Diego the City of Trees. Palm and Rubber trees grace D Street, an earlier name for Broadway.  I learned never to cross any street unless I make a few hail Mary's. What is great about the 'Y' is it is next to the Harbor, and with it the usual 10 to 15 mile-an-hour western breeze. Would you believe that San Diego used to be perfect for those allergy sufferers. Now pollen and other ingredients make San Diego one of the allergy capitals of the U.S.A. That is the price San Diego paid for greatness. 
   Last Saturday night I had the chance to view the city at her best. Everywhere excitement filled the air. It was about seven o'clock, and the sun began to slip into the western sky. A bevy of fans began to flow back from Petco Park and the ballgame against San Francisco. A young gentleman wearing a large country had came by. I wished to know if the Padres five game win streak became number six. 
   "Did the Padres win the game?" He came towards me and waited for me to finish my ice cream. 
   "San Francisco was about to lose but your reliever Street gave up a home run. We won the game in extra innings."
    'I saw your shortstop take a base hit away by making a diving stop and in one motion throw the hitter out."Unfortunately, 'Oceanside' Ben drove to San Diego. I warned him next time to take the Coaster downtown and travel on the Green Line to the Park. "It will save on time, gas, and of course stress."
   The crack of dawn provides a different type of view. Five times out of ten the Harbor Fog begins to back up into the water. The first to come to work are the sandals and tennis shows. Nary any carry a smile, but they hold on to their Starbucks morning coffee. It appears that they are going to the gallows. Too bad they need to work every day rather than three or four. 
   After eight o'clock the yellow ties make their way down the street. Many work at the court house or are the city lawyers. Now the high heals come into play. I even noticed a few suede shoes...Well got to go now, I am going for lunch at the Old Oak Cafe in Encinitas.  

   (I am sorry to say the Historic YMCA will be no more. Big Money swayed Councilman Gloria to sell this thoroughbred to an Egyptian group. Today, the ninth of July, the few remaining old timers received a resettlement letter. We had 60 days to turn in our keys and possibly our lives.  Council President Gloria gave the go-ahead for the new owners to "demolish' it and create another "franchise" Hotel. No more will the young be able to spend a few 'bob' for a stay in this great hotel.) 
     
   
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment