Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Balboa Park

Three years ago, I fell in love with the Rose Garden at Balboa Park. I had taken the Coaster from the Carlsbad station into San Diego's Santa Fe Station. A lady at the information desk told me how to get to Balboa Park. "Take the number 7 bus. You will find the bus stop three blocks east on Broadway.
I treated myself to a bagel and butter at Baedegger's and found the bus. Since I had already paid for a compas card, the ride to the Park was free. The bus took Broadway and made a small turn onto Parks Blvd. It then drove three stops to Balboa Park. Some of the tourists were going to the Zoo, another stop after mine.
The Rose and Cactus Gardens below changed my mood. I took a seat at the Rose Garden and enjoyed the smell and beauty of God's creations. The beas took no notice of me. I fell in love with a Julia Child's rose bush. Overhead, a Southwest jet flew buy going to Lindbergh Field. The hot dry air also gave me a lift.
I then went to the Cactus Garden and looked at the variety of Cactus plants. I made a mistake of trying to take a piece of fruit from one of them. At least fifty tiny stickers entered my hand. I spent the rest of the day removing them.

For the last three years, I make Balboa Park my home for one day each week. I visit the senior center, go dancing, and visit the Prado for a half priced food or drink after four o'clock. The 'Uke' trees are taller than the empire state building and I found larger fig trees. I was told these fruits should not be eaten and they were correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment