Thursday, March 28, 2019

Another Day in Disneyland

It has been over six months now, and even though Mel has been visited by countless dentists, the inflamed infected teeth now consumed each waking moment. And typical of the Sea Cliff Health Center, it behaves like a wax museum. He had been taken Norco for pain and like before, I knew that death might be on his front door if the teeth were not removed 
  My three hour stay with Mel on Sunday proved to be a mistake. I took Brother Mel's pain to bed with me so on Monday and had a sleepless night. At least he still went to rehab downstairs where Amber and where he could sing and walk and forget the pain in his teeth. 

A block from my apartment is the #33 bus stop. With my Access card it is only a quarter to ride the bus for Disneyland. But this is not the amusement park one might expect. No, it is the ride to a cheaper Disneyland, called the City of Angels in the 30's - and for me again today.
    It takes about forty five minutes to leave Surf City and pass Little Saigon, Garden Grove, Anaheim and my stop at the Texaco Gas Station. It costs me $75 cents to ride the long Metro bus but it is a idyllic ride. Good clean air uplifts my spirits as we get to the Norwalk Transit Station. Again I look forward to the hustle and bustle of downtown Los Angeles.
     My ticket gets me on all the rides in the City of Dodgers. But first, I must visit my Grand Daughter, Li'l Nell. She call me "Papa" and I love it. Tonight I baby sits and she cuddles up with me in the back bedroom. Of course I don't play favorites and have Mickey and Mini Mouse sleeping with us...and I almost forgot about Donald Duck.

The next day it is all about writing. I to to Nate and Al's, in Beverly Hills  for my matzo ball soup, of course with pickle sand freshly made rye bread. Including coffee it is all of ten dollars. Next to me are two lawyers who are chumming up with a lady who is in the midst of a divorce. Wow, they way they talk they could charm even Donald Trump away from a round of golf or his twitter.
   My brother Mel is forgotten as I lavishly spread jam on my toasted rye. Even though I missed the toast and coated my just washed shirt with black jam, it did not curb my joy for this day.
   After a visit to the San Diego Library I felt like using my free ticket for not the Grove, but for Santa Monica.  While I wait for the 704, a multitude of wide eyed albino,  cherub Chinese tourists remove themselves from the bus and peer at me as if I am some exotic specie. They probably think I look like Donald Trump.   The 704 Sana Monica bus picks me up on amply-named, Santa Monica. The bus putters through Century City, West Los  Angeles and finally Santa Monica.
   My Disneyland ticket gets me a ride on the finest looking city in the South Bay. I get off on Broadway that leads me to my Thai restaurant on Santa Monica Blvd, across the street from the gap. You get a bang for your buck here with all the free soup your full belly can hold. But I need to get to the new library -- where there is a free stack of periodicals.
  From the best free stack of periodicals, I removed the December of 1939 Times. History of these dark days is thrown in my face as the Reds have invaded Finland, and several countries have removed chunks of Czechoslovakia..It is now four o'clock and I needed something to hold me over. I cross the street for Philz Coffee. 
   It is worth three dollars and change for the cocktail mixers to put some ingredients in the coffee. Now I have never tasted such delightful coffee I remove two children't books and make my way to the bus stop on Fourth Street.
   Yes, just another day in Disneyland, and how much for admission, almost nothing. Remember that the Best Things in Life are Free.  
   


 

No comments:

Post a Comment