Thursday, November 1, 2018

San Diego Diary Part 2

I somehow survived my first night at the "Y" in downtown San Diego. It felt great to have a roof over my head and lucky that General Cartwright thought that I was another Section Eight. I needed to come up with $1,200 including the four hundred dollar security deposit. It was August of 1911.
   Since our small cells did not include a toilet, I used a Minute Maid  orange juice container at night for my bladder.  Of course at times  I had accidents that made the industrial carpet damp in the morning. I did have a small fridge in the corner next to a desk with a telephone. I felt lucky.
    Some of my retirement check went to a family member so that the $200 owed to the Encinitas Quality Inn needed to be paid, which I did. Again it felt great to have a roof over my head and a manager who greeted me with a smile and fresh cologne each morning. I just loved General Cartwright.
     "Mr. Garrett, you can get fresh towels each day and help yourself to the fresh coffee we prepare each morning. And we clean your room each week. Let me know if you need anything."
      His real smile and his smell gave a luster to my day. To this day, i wonder what type of cologne he wore. He waltzed into the lobby wearing a well pressed suit. Why I might have thought that he shopped at Macy's. His shoes sparkled as if they were polished by some master shoeshine maker 
      Still with cobwebs in my head ever since I lived inside my little Chevy, It took a while to give up the stars for a real, yes a real roof, and no more sleeping in my car. I had just over one hundred dollars left that first month in August, but it would have to do. I remembered Anthony's Fish on the Harbor. My ex-girl friend introduced me to the famous fish house when she still enjoyed my company.

By far the joint I learned to love most of all was Starbucks, about a block west down Broadway. After a shower and shave, I left room 204 on the second floor and began to descend the..
   ."Hi Mr. Cartwright, nice to see you." He was scrubbing  the rails of the staircase. . In fact much later on, I learned that he had a need for cleanliness. Everything needed to be polished. I walked across the Southern Pacific rails and continued on Broadway till I  got to Harbor where I turned right. After a cruise line pier Anthony's loomed up.
      "Can I have some English chowder."
       ""Do you want anything else?...Your number is 21, thank you."
     Sea Gulls ;pulled up a chair next to me.  The smell of the clams and little breads must have signaled it was dinner time for them. I noticed a drink machine across the way so to save money, i asked a server for an empty cup.
      With the sun from eleven o'clock hitting me in the head, I felt juiced up. Yes, alive for the first time in months, I thanked God for this little fling with the cup of chowder It was great to have been joined by these gorgeous birds of God. I threw little pieces of fries there way. A few were so adept to catching them on the fly they could have played center field for the Dodgers.
      I must have stayed there for hours, in fact I lost track of time. A little later, a few homeless ones entered the bathroom. As San Diego had no public restrooms, I felt gratified that they had a place to wash and clean their clothes. Inside the Harbor were a few fishing boats and a coast guard cutter. Later I found out that the Coast Guard Headquarters was about a half  down.
     At about noon, I walked across Harbor and made my way to the then  Holiday Inn. I grabbed a mint and a free U.S. Today paper from the lobby and lounged on a sofa. Yes, I certainly felt alive myf first day in San Diego.

No comments:

Post a Comment