Wednesday, November 21, 2018

A Car for Mel

A bot tired, I exit the #29 and cross Garfield. I wonder if the corner eatery has put on a new urinal. We old timers never wish to be too far from a bathroom, particularly after drinking sodas. The car wash is busy. Each expensive model has one man smoothing out any water spots or anything else. A Lexus, Caddie, and brand new Chevy SUV is being given a once over.
    The owners pay thirty dollars for these expert cleaners. No spot goes unnoticed  The Huntington Car wash can't be missed. It is on the corner of Beach and Garfield. Like a barber shop, the customer may order a smooth, a decal, or just a rub. Every car smiles on the way out.
    The owners sit quietly, dong nothing but waiting. Signifying they are made of money, they have been giving their cars a shower for up-teen years now. In fact, the only thing that have saved their long marriage has been to distant themselves from their overbearing wives.
     I am glad not to be subservient to some brand new car. My time is valuable so  I continue straight on Garfield until I get to Florida Street and turn right. My nap sack feels a bit heavier now. Finally I get to 18811 Florida Street and open the door. I am going on my third year now, and perhaps if Mel had been given better care at the Pacific Spartan Assistant living, he never would have had to be sent here. Among other  ailments, Mel has had a inner ear cancer for more than two years. He is not only clean of cancer, but is content once again.  I hand two beets and one corn to the kitchen and do my best this added food won't get lost.
    "Oh hi Kelly, happy Thanksgiving to you You look great...lost of few pounds eh?...Did you remember to give Mel his spaghetti." Kelly is tall, trim, and a effervescent smile...so what if she is part cross-eyed. Nobody is perfect,yes?
     "Made it myself...three times for your brother...Nice to see you...By...Got to run.."
   
Mel is inside a hospice area, room 135 B. He has just been given a bath by his warm caring assistant maintenance nurse Mel sits up and greets me. In bed one is Jeffery, a nice chap of eighty five who enjoys listening in. He is large and immobile. His smile is infectious .
   "Did you see that game...Ram won 54-51." Mel looks trim and happy, and why not, after a long bath. Shit maybe I would love a long bath every other day. Never have I seen my brother Mel any happier in the last year or two.
   "Are you using the walker Mel?"
    "Yes, every day...And my sugar count is normal. 135... How is Linda?...You told me she has a car. Did she return to her job."
     "Not yet...The baby is getting all the attention "
    "What happened to all the furniture on our old house in Beverly Wood."
    "Well, Mel, gave everything including cars to our sister Polly. But dig get all the photos. Anyhow, those are only things but I got the memories
     "Do you wish any steaks Mel?"
      "No, but would love one of Derik's Turkey and hope we get a car." 
  I left Mel exhausted but happy he now is content and walking. After a quick meal at Panda Express and a stop at the dollar, and goodwill store, I made it to the beach stop on Main and Beach. I felt exhausted, yet after I climbed aboard the next stop energized me...and how!
   An Asian holding a seat walker climbed aboard with stuff in bags on the two seat walker. She looked trim and certainly Asian, but with higher cheek bones and large face. She did not look a day over thirty. She pulled the rip cord signalling her stop was next."
    "No, no make mistake. Not this stop the one..."
     "You mean the one on Edinger?"
     "Tank you, wish to buy a pizza...am hungy..."
      "Are you Vietnamese?"
      "No Buddha."
      "Bet you are no more than forty"
       "Sisty five...We Asians luk younger than you. We don't age
    The bus turned and I left the pretty one sorry i did not own a car or dentures yet...yet

                            A Car for Mel 
                   Sea Cliff Health Center
                   188811 Florida Street 
                   Huntington Beach, 92648 Cal (Bed 135 B) 
                   Make checks out to me, George Garrett in care of Mel, 
                    Happy Thanksgiving  
                     

                                       




     
   
   
"
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Providence has kept Mel alive.. Yet his next wish is a car

    ReplyDelete