Thursday, October 4, 2018

Surf City Food Bank

"Numbers 19 and 23...Come on up!"

Yes this is a lotto, but not one that you might expect. Mainly Vietnamese, this is how they save each month to live free of charge with the blessings of the Refuge in Huntington Beach. 
  There is about fifty five that showed up today at the tabernacle across from Bella Terra and next to Chase Bank, it is where the boat people of Vietnam hawk as much grub as they can muster inside their shopping bags. 
   At the advise of a bus sitter who like me, can only make ends meet advised me to go to the Food Bank when my Frig is empty.  Monday and Tuesday's at the Refuge, markets like Whole Foods and Ralph's dole out food that has expired...i got lucky a week ago and grabbed a fifteen dollar fruit salad of some choice strawberries, raspberries, that lasted me one week. 
   The food is laid out on several long tables. The lotto begins at two o'lock and each is provided with a number. Each is provided with a number when reaching the church. Today my number is 37 and I just can't wait too long since I have an appointment to see my brother at the Sea Cliff Health Center. 
   "Numbers 10 and 47...step right up!"
  Two more boat people smile as they carry their empty bags that will be laden with all types of food. I no longer can wait. Besides, I have a few more green backs back at my ranch. 
   I am thinking about looking for a Vietnamese to become my wife. I just love rice and noodles and anything extra, well I won't write home about it.
   I must see my brother Mel and know I will see my little buddies tomorrow on the number 33 bus. I hand my number to a talkative one and leave for the bus. 
   Oh yes. My favorite market is the Farmers's or green Vietnamese Market. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment