Tuesday, September 5, 2017

A Labor Day Lift

Enjoyed watching T.V. with Brother Mel during the Labor Day weekend . Too bad his left eye lid still covered his eye -- as I had mentioned he needed a procedure to lift it. Then he could watch T.V. and perhaps the Dodgers in a Word Series Game. I had cooked two cobs of corn for him along with delicious Trader Joe's tangerines, and a couple of bananas. Mel looked to be in an exuberant mood -- even though he thinks he is blind.
   For those new to my blog, Mel is two years younger and has lived at the Sea Cliff Heath Center on Florida Street nearing one year. After an episode of brain cancer, and other ailments, he is still depressed and relies on me to supplement his diet. Patients in the second, third or fourth areas seldom see the sun or stars anymore. and eating any fruit is rare.
    Many, like an Indian who is 105, have outlives their next of kin. It is six thirty when I enter room 125 B. In bed one is a Korean Veteran. Mel has just finished his two hot doggies and is sipping his Milk. He is overjoyed today, for some reason on this Labor Day.
    "What ya bring taday?"
     "Got ya corn, bananas and tangerines...Let me peel the tangerines for you."
     "Some game yesaday!  You told me the Bruins would come back."
     "Why you look so feisty today?
     "Only took about six pills today."
    I yanked a folding chair out of the closet and put on the T.V. The screamer down the hall was at it again. All she does is scream and this evening, she can be heard all over Surf City. I then tell Mel the news.
     "Daughter bought a piano and looks like I will have a chance to make two little Mozart's out of Olivia and Allison...Dodgers lost again...and I told you that Bruins would come back." Stella entered to remove the dinner tray. She adds some flavor for this evening. A special on the comedian  Jerry Lewis  is on the Movie Channel. I listen in to the interview on channel 25.
     "The biggest lift I received from the audience was when something unrehearsed came out of my mouth. When they laughed and even stood up, I felt as if  I had a free ticket to remove money from a bank."
Now going on Seven, I left my lift and said good-by. I still hope that the Nursing home can provide a list of his medicines and what they are for. So far, I have never seen a computer that listed his doctors or the medicine he was prescribed.
   Back home now at the Five Points Senior Center, I desired to take a shower but found out here was no hot water I wondered if somebody had monkeyed with the roof's boiler as I found the lift for the roof open. I lay down on my couch and just when I fell asleep, my cell rang.  I removed the cell from its sock and took the message. It was my daughter.
   "Dad, make sure you are at the house at nine o'clock with the piano lifters come with the new piano"



 
    
      

  
  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment