Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Amby Schindler's Birthday April 21st

The last three months have been a nightmare inside Surf City California. A day before my car vanished from the Five Points Senior Center, I had found my brother Mel at the Fountain Valley Hospital on a ventilator. I could not get over the lack of medical care or fact that the nurses spoke only  Vietnamese...My car vanished from the Five Points Senior Center, but that did not keep me from taking thirteen buses to visit my brother, now in Santa Ana's Kindred Care unit...Two days later my wallet was lifted from the bus...l fell violently ill for a week. I had no idea that Huntington Beach is home to identify theft rings... but sure do now. I wondered if anything the police were doing to prevent it.
   I got a temporary driver's license but now it is time for me to pray for a new car.  Amby Schindler will be 99 years old on April 21 so from now on, excerpts from his life will be on displayed until his birthday. I would be kidding you if I thought he might outlive me-but as of today, it is a reality, ever since I set foot in the mold invested apartments inside the El Loco Apartments inside Surf City  

                                                      "You Deserve it...Amby."

  Amby celebrated the 1939 victory over Notre Dame in South Bend inside his lower bunk.  His forty yard cutback touchdown run had sealed the deal and he and his mates had celebrated at a nearby inn. He was singing away and putting away the cosmetics he had bought for his sisters and gal Lucille.
    The cab ride from the Stadium at South Bend to the train station put him face to face with Mr. Turner, a wealthy tire man who traveled to the away games on the fourteen car Trojan Express. He had spoken to the players before the train departed from the Union Station. "Anyone  who scores points against the Irish  score against the Irish will receive a gift of four brand new tires." 
     As Turner left the cab, he reminded Schindler to pick up his four tires. After imbibing himself with beer and cheer with the boys, he returned to his lower birth and sang his favorite drinking song, "How dry I am.." He began to smoke his Medico Pipe when the curtains were drawn and a Stetson hat poked him in the noggin.  
      Peering through the drawn curtains was non other than his coach Howard Jones. He quickly put away his now dangling pipe under the covers, and Schindler face turned ashen as he looked up at Professor Jones.
     "I was scared Jones would throw me off the train. He had strict rules about smoking,  although he had been a chain smoker himself."
      "Great game Amby, you deserve it after that fine run of yours that iced the game."
      "I was in shock that this dumb cluck said nothing about the pipe, that by now had started to smoke under my blankets."
       "Back home in San Diego, the owner of the only Mission Hills gas and tire station also congratulated me and presented me with four brand new tires for my 1934 Ford Roaster. His son had also belonged to Sigma Epsilon Pi. 

   Donations for a car can be mailed to the Five Points Senior Apartments, at 18561 Florida Street, Huntington Beach CA 92648 box 1001. Thank you. George Garrett
      
    
    
   



             

                                     
 

No comments:

Post a Comment