Thursday, April 7, 2016

The Life and Times of Ambrose Schinidler

It is not often that a son can interview and write a book about his Dad's favorite sports figure, but I did. I lied when I told Schindler in 2006 that I was a sport's writer...Almost ten years later I now have the chance to write the greatest biography of all time.
   Since his 99th birthday is the 21st of April, I will be promoting this San Diego boy's story up until the time of his birthday. Hope that you enjoy the flavor of the story the same way I did in in writing the story about the Greatest Trojan of All Time.

   While Paula Glickman sold penny candy at a drug store in downtown San Diego during the depression years of the thirties,  Amby Schindler helped his Dad  gather manure at the many cattle farms in the San Diego valley. Amby drank as much milk as his stomach could hold. He and his Dad  sold the fertilizer to the many Japanese nurseries in the San Diego Valley. His Dad also fashioned a drum over his truck to hold water that he sold for the trainers during the racing season across the border in Tijuana.  
   While Paula read books and received all A's at Freemont High in Los Angeles, Amby developed into one of the greatest athletes to come out of San Diego. The municipal park  had a track meet and Schindler won almost every event while he attended Wilson High in San Diego. After school, he would become a gym rat at a municipal park and could do more pull ups than anyone. He belonged to a baseball league and played four innings while the older kids played nine.
    "I didn't own a pair of baseball shoes and had to borrow a pair from another player. I played catcher of our team and almost lost my mask when it fell out of the car. I caught for Ted Williams the pitcher and flagged balls that he could not reach. Nobody was faster than me"
    "While at the municipal playground, I knew when to run home for dinner. My Mom knew how to prepare the roast beef Dad had bought at the market. My Dad always bought the best cut of meat since he had been a Minnesota cattle farmer when a youngster."
     "To tell the time when at the park, I would place a rock on the sand and it would cast a shadow. I knew within five minutes the time. Mom always chose the best cut of meat for me. I was her favorite."
     As I mentioned before, Amby always had chores to do around the house. His mom always sent him to buy candy or bread for her. Later he had a paper route to help out during the depression. The return of the train from across the border was the signal for him to get up and retrieve the San Diego Union from the corner. After the paper route his Mom had prepared his meal of oat meal, and bacon and eggs. The street cars took him to school.
     His paper route over the goat hills of San Diego molded his legs into a chiseled piece of muscle. He played all sports in San Diego but the gymnastics was special. He enjoyed working the parallel bars, rings or performing gymnastic routines on the floor...
   
    Since car was stolen about two months ago, I have been saving up to buy another. Donations can be made to George Garrett at the Five Points Senior Apartments, 18561 Florida Street. Huntington Beach CA 92648.
    
        


   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment