Friday, March 18, 2016

Surf City's Main Street Library


I made the mistake of walking from Surf City's City Hall to the historic Main Street Library. The buses on Main run on the hour, and I took a chance that a mile walk would not burden my lungs on a Santa Ana day...of course it did.
   In my last blog, I felt disgusted that my brother Mel did not get the medications he sorely needed-to prevent a stroke or something worse. The Assistant Living Center did not even know he was at Kindred until I inform them...as always, their interest was on filling beds. What a sham! No longer does resemble my brother at the French Park Care facility, but he did tell me he still has heart and a soul. I will let God handle the remainder of his life.
   Yesterday, I spent a peaceful day at the downtown Main Library. I could write in peace for a change since Talbert's Central one sometimes resembles a zoo. And besides, the #172 hourly bus takes me a block from the little old library.  There is no New York Times or the books I desired. I asked the matron if it carried any books about Debs or Darrow. Of course she never heart of my heroes of bygone days.
   My throbbing head and empty stomach requested that I go to lunch. Across the street sat the First Federal Bank and also a jewelry store, a vegie café, and the one I made a beeline to-Jan's Health Bar. In front of the small eatery, no free tables were available. Young kids enjoyed the small town serenity over healthy food and good friends. It was my turn to order.
    I looked up at the various plates and ordered the SURF SHOP SPECIAL. My half a sandwich held fresh tuna, a salad and chips.
    "What type of dressing would you like?"
     "How about Oil and Vinegar."
     "Do you wish an avocado?" The additional one dollar and fifty was not in my budget. I gave her nine dollars and a few cents.
     "What is your name?"
     "George" 
Now relaxed, I gazed at the young stuff entering the café. Everyone had a smile and most knew what to order. A waiter told me the little hole in the wall gets about five hundred customers a day. My calculations came to about $5000 per day -- enough to feed the seven busy workers.
   My name called, a server brought the heavy plate to me.  My jaws mashed the chips and I emptied the cup of dressing over my salad. Without a driver's license and car, the meal made up for the loss since I knew those items would be replaced.
   The half-a-tuna filled my stomach. Now with more energy, I returned to the little old library to work on my football story...The only blemish to the day was the missing copies of my birth certificated and other items inside the Five Points Senior apartments. Last Saturday, Lisa called me requesting a copy of my social and driver's license...some irony! 
   The Huntington Beach restaurant is at 501 Main Street. For advance orders, you can call 714-536-4856

    
   

No comments:

Post a Comment