Tuesday, February 16, 2016

The Other Way to Los Angeles

Cost me a total of $4.25 to go from Huntington Beach to Los Angeles -- and I never missed the five freeway with all of its hangups. No for me, it would be the Beach Nut bus all the way to the Metro Station. 
   You just might say that the vanishing act of my car inside the Five Points Senior Parking lot sent a message to me. "George, you have been too complacent with me lately. Begin a new life, the way you used to do while a denizen of San Diego." 
   I placed three hard boiled Trader Joe eggs in my back-pack, along with Costco turkey slices, two tomatoes, and two tangerines. A bit dark at five thirty, but what the hell. I needed to rid myself of reality and change my life. At least my brother Mel still lived at the Kindred Hospital in Santa Ana. A nurse telephoned me that he had been eating although still on full oxygen. I felt bad I no longer had wheels to see him, but had to take care of my own health as no longer do i have a car when needed.
   The Five Points is only a few blocks from the Main and Beech bus stop. The OCTA bus arrived at about five. I paid one dollar and fifty cents for an all day pass. It allows one to ride any OCTA bus for the duration of the day.
  The little flashy eyed bus driver reminded me of Betty Boop, a cartoon caricature. Her phony eye lashes sprinkled love my way. It was too dark to get a handle on her. I sat in the back with a tattooed neck and a sleepy lanky kid who had one too many. The bus lurched forward and made too many stops. The buses stop every two or three blocks, quite unlike the ones in San Diego or Los Angeles.
  Under the 405 freeway it stopped and the driver came to the back. A nicotine-smelling wheel chair boarded. Wow, I could not believe how large her top-side was. She packed a pair of fifty H's. She gave me a wink, fastened nicotine in, and returned to her chair. It took about one hour and fifteen minutes to get to the bus station.
  It may have been her first time on the 29-A bus. I told her where the turn-off was located, a few blocks after the 5 freeway. I believe the street's name was Devin I paid $3.75 for one of the early trains that had originated from Oceanside.
  "Next stop Norwalk." the conductor blurted out. It felt great to breathe fresh air for a change. Surf City has some of the dirtiest on the coast -- guess too many folks live in a tiny space I removed my lunch and enjoyed every morsel.
   My Metro ticket allowed me one tap on the underground . I took the purple line to Western and linked up with the Big Blue Rapid bus.
   I met a friend at Coffee Bean before getting on the number 14 bus to go to Wilshire. I had an appointment with a oral surgeon. I needed one tooth extracted but Dr. Daggat removed four front teeth.
  I celebrated with a long one-foot sub sandwich before taking the @20 Red to Western and  a return trip to the Union Station. The train left at 2:15 and it arrived a few minute later at Buena Park where the temperature reminded me of Palm Springs. It took one hour to arrive back at my apartment but on the whole, I had a great day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment