Wednesday, February 10, 2016

A Trip to Carlsbad

My P.O. Box is located in Carlsbad, the second largest city in North County. Oceanside is the biggest. I needed to pay my $62 PO Box fee.
   And you ask why? Why do I need to have my checks mailed to me rather than fed electronically to a bank. The Fed placed a levy on my last account and dried it up. Never will I trust our so-called-government again!
   Hell, in no way did I wish to travel the 405 and then the 5 during the heat wave. I knew my bronchial tubes would be saturated with grime, dust, and that with the introduction of heat, make an atomic bomb explode inside my chest.
    Ten thirty provided me with a perfect trip from Surf City to Carlsbad. I arrived at about eleven, checked my mail box, and paid the six month fee for my box. I felt like going to my favorite fruit place to quench my thirst. Simply Peachy on P.C.H. had been my favorite produce store for fresh fruit at bargain prices. Not true today. I bought two navels for 60 cents a pound and an out-of-season nectarine for $1. 42 cents.
   I sat on a fruit crate in front of a closed neighboring furniture store. The sound of a northern bound Amtrak train reminded me of how the train's AC cleaned out my tormented lungs. For me, the train's whistle meant traveling, reading and enjoying the view. Not quite today.
   By twelve my appetite needed to be satisfied. Up the highway was the North County favorite, Keno's, sure to satisfy your appetite for the least expense to your pocketbook. I entered and called my shot. The meat loaf had been my favorite for five years. Deep voice cracked jokes in back of me while a visiting couple enjoyed their fish and chips. Deep Voice was the local drunk..
   Oh yes, Keno's has an open bar from seven till dawn. It is the friendliness bar in town. Too bad I don't drink since I drink the juices of life. Again the sound of the trains whistle made me feel at home once-again.
    "What ya have honey?"
    '"Hows about the meat loaf?"
     "It's the favorite today."
   Next to me a man filled his dish with the $2.50 soup of the day. He sat across from me. Within two minutes, I was served. The meat loaf took up half the plate. Mustered in to the other half were mashed potatoes and corn. Why I almost felt like King Henry the Eight. The railroad tracks with all the greenery around it increased my appetite. I placed one dollar in the tip jar and out the door I flew.
    My next stop was the Encinitas' Senior Center. It was about one o'clock. I saw Tony at the Mobile under the bridge. He did miracles with my high millage Cavalier. He had changed all of its belts, replaced a worn out alternator-and all for under 5 hundred dollars. His fairness with a job well done earned him plaudits from my soul.
    Then it hit -- my breathing became labored. I quickly ran into the Senor Center to spend time in the computer room. The sun somehow filtered through the windows. It was going on Two and the thought occurred that I had better beat it. My breathing felt labored. Oh yes, North County is known for pollen and sits under the 5 freeway.
    I made it home and took a well-needed nap. I wondered if my brother at the Kindred Hospital still lived. I felt exhausted by the freakish hot weather. The In-N'Out was just the ticket I needed. I parked at the Beach outlet and ordered.
    "Can I have a double burger, instead of cheesed give me lots of pickles and onions."
     "Did you say a double double without cheese with lots of pickles and onions."
     "You got it!"
 Well got to go now. The loaded double double is more than I can handle.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment