Wednesday, December 30, 2015

A New Year's Date with George 12--31-2012

This story is from the World of George. It takes place in San Diego, New Year's Eve on 12-31-2012. These stories will become part of my book, San Diego, Tale of Two Rabbis. I had relocated there to do research on my Schindler Story and i also needed a change. 

It is New Year's Eve and I have made a date with me...Yes me, George. Sounds ridiculous you say, but not I! I would make it the happiest day of my life in lovely San Diego. But just hold on for a moment. I heard somebody banging on my window of my Y.M.C. A. cell.  Oh it is only Sir Godfrey. I met the angle sent from God over one year ago during the Jewish New Year of Rosh Hashanah.  I celebrated it at the Manchester Hyatt Hotel in San Diego, under Rabbi Carlback.
   It takes a few minutes to open the stuck window. A few spiders scamper to another pane. Godfrey floats inside. He resembles my Grandfather Schneider. He is small, wears a white robe covering him except for his golden chained watch. But it is his smile, yes his smile and warm glow that overwhelms me.
   "How is everything upstairs?"
   "Things are fine. Your grandmother still prepares chicken on the Sabbath, and it still is burnt. But we get along just fine now. We heard about the cliffhanger the President is having with Congress. Doesn't he understand that there are three equal branches of government. Seems to me he had an inferiority complex....My Angel friend Dan told me you broke up with  your girlfriend. Is that true?"
    "Yes our President is playing Russian Roulette with Congress...Yet no matter what, Obama still prints money when he is wishes to go on  many of his golf trips. Seldom is he inside the oval office. He has flown to more countries than any other president, not doubt to get away from the heat of Washington. Why he even forgets the color of  the White House."
      "But George, didn't it bother you to break up with the lass from Montreal, Hazel?"
      "Listen Godfrey, when a gal tells a fella he is "ugly and boring" not just once but several times it is time to call it quits. Hell, my blood pressure spiked every time we met. What I need is long lasting battery that energizes mine...The love I had for her is now diffused into my writing, music and traveling."
       'I am glad you have become of man of action...So what do you plan to do today, the Eve of our New Year?"
"This morning I have already been to It's a Grind Coffee Shop on Front and G street. I milked a hot chocolate and read the book, A Perfect Storm. Across the street I used the blood pressure machine at Ralph's. Mine was a bit elevated but much lower since I had become a Jew again. I used my daughter's gift card gift card and splurged....I bought a one pound New York steak, a dozen eggs, one lemon, dental floss and two combs....With my beanie to keep my head warm during the early morn crisp cold morning, I enjoyed the sun's rays, but it was my stomach that ached for meat. Inside the Y's dining area, I prepared the five dollar steak, and threw in three scrambled. "
   "Then I listened to my little transistor radio and set the dial to the music station, 105.9 on the FM dial. I needed some Strauss waltz music to caress my mind. I do play the piano at the Senior Center in Encinitas."
   "But George what are you going to do this afternoon?"
    " I will take the 901 bus that travels over the Coronado Bridge to visit their fine library. The bus ride takes me over San Diego Bay, and what a view it makes. All of the Navy piers are busy fixing ships or cranes are unloading. You can make out the Mexican border and also Shelter Island from the oval. On my return I will nap and early evening take in a picture of Lincoln playing on Fifth Street inside the Gas Lamp area. I will then ask twelve girls to give me a kiss."
    "Forgot to tell you George, I am also here to speak with Silas, the kid you sponsored. I here he is moving to an apartment in East San Diego on 13 street. You did a great job keeping him off the bottle for a year."
    "You are a bit late. After one binge, the guitar friend of mine was picked up by he meat wagon and taken to boot hill. Felt bad a man of forty had to go this way. He was just another Naval Veteran forgotten too soon."
     "Send my love to your two daughters and of course Derick and Baby Olivia."
     "Do me one favor. Flavor my life with a new flame since the old one died."

Nuts and bolts for New Year's: Make it simple, and with luck you'll find one wishing quality time with you.
   
   
   
   
   
   

     

1 comment: