Saturday, December 19, 2015

Los Angeles, A Dread-Locked City

This story was written at McDonald's inside Walmart's in Huntington Beach. I go there at seven or more to buy my coffee and keep warm and get my mind running...little lean Jose is getting another refill for his 85 cent coffee. Today he has bought a pack of Fruit and the Loom underwear. He removes a few napkins from the dispenser and leaves for his toilet. Long Hair is loading up on half-and-half cups and several packages of sweet-and low. 
    Long Hair is a "gringo" like me and sleeps inside his shelled-truck. The tall angular one looks as if he might be half-Comanche since he his face is almost black. And there is Mrs. House speaking to anybody within a two table radius. She would die without food or talk...And here I am writing about L.A before I coat myself with religion later  today on Warner Avenue's  Chabad 

The last race of the day began at the Costco store off of Washington Blvd in Culver City. I had bought a package of Naked Juice and eggs for my daughter. With only one exit five cars tried to out-muscle me but somehow I exited. "Go F...k yourself" one car blew off  steam at me. But I made it out of the parking lot alive to live another day. Shelly, my Chevy Compact snaked along west on Washington.
    Fifteen minutes later I made it to Inglewood Blvd and decided to try a quicker route. I made my left but no-such-luck. Cars were gutted back waiting for a light to change. Yet they would be out-of-luck at six o'clock. Dinner would have to wait. Cars packaged the intersection of every corner. Shelly nudged, screamed and butted heads  but no dent in the line. Finally I made it to Venice Blvd and thought about going to Italy on my next holiday.
   Christmas lights flickered everywhere. My hunger pains became louder. I glanced to my right and saw a Mexican lady pushing her cart. I rolled down Shelly's window.
   "'Pour favor, Que vende?"
    "Tomales", she replied.
    "Dar me vente!"
   Now of course cars screamed for me to advance buy i needed nutrition to get me back to my daughter's apartment in West Los Angeles. It became six thirty and Shelly made it to Sawtelle but barely. She began to heat-up  as the gauge registered warm.
   My stomach relieved after swallowing three in one bite, I made my way back to Washington by-way-of-a gas station and returned to Washington Blvd. A few minutes later, a right and another left put me on the Santa Monica Freeway east bound.
   Overland Blvd has already had five face lifts. But just wait until the Expo-Line goes through -- as these trains will hold up traffic every five or ten minutes. Too bad the City of L.A. did not start a under-land route, but guess that Goodrich, Firestone, or Dunlap Tires wanted more cars on the road. In any case, this line will be the busiest trolley in the Northern Hemisphere when completed in early April.
  I finally arrived on Pico and miraculously found a place to park my car. My daughter made some coffee for me and I took my senior citizen nap. We left for the West L.A. Kaiser later on where my daughter wished to refill some medicine. I waited for her at the Polo Loco eatery. A man dressed in a Christmas suit addressed me as Mr. Trump.
  He kept jabbering away at me until my two meat burritos had enough. WE left for the pharmacy where my daughter's name was called. She stood in line and I walked by her side when she walked up to a cashier.
  "You's got to stand in line...Sir!..We all need to stand in line!" Well I felt too good to react to one so foolish and obviously prejudiced. I smiled and pointed at my daughter. She apologized for her manner of speaking."
After i dropped off my daughter, I returned to Overland for the 10 On-ramp. Again cars were busy toe to toe with each other. One hour later I made it to bed in Huntington Beach, happy not to be on any-more freeways for awhile
  And don't think that by taking a bus you'll get to your destination on time. 3 to 8 P.M. are the times not to travel inside Los Angeles, in my day called the City of Angles where driving was easy not dreaded as it is today.

1 comment:

  1. Today, the traffic has eased on the street, thanks to Metro Trains and many working at home. Be careful on the trains as many homeless look for ways to steal. I love the buses but make sure not to speak to homeless who live on trains. The black bus drivers allow many to board for free!

    ReplyDelete