Saturday, August 4, 2018

Old Red Car rails cut

The Sky was a deep blue as I poked my head out of the subway on Seventh and Figueroa on Friday morning. The trek began in Surf City  at six o'clock and after four bus connections and two trains, I popped up on Seventh Street and Figueroa. The new Korean building was in front of me with Starbucks to its south. 
  I stood in line and gazed down at the brown leather shoes favored by the men. Unlike Huntington Beach, the downtown city folk spend lots of time to look like a bank examiners. The friendly third cashier took my order. This coffee shop is easiest the busiest in Los Angeles...and the most colorful particularly at Xmas time. 
   I took up a seat next to the window and found out the combination for the clean bathroom. The ebb and flow of the citizenry sprinkled its colors through the windows. Across from me was the brick Bank of America. The older buildings were built with brick and mortar. A young smile came towards me wearing tight fitting colorful pants. 
   "Good morning...Do you mind it I sit here Waiting for my car to be fixed?'
   "Just bought it."
   " No, problem with engine Has seventy thousand miles but still under warranty" 
   "Do you work downtown?'
   "No I plan parties...life in West Hollywood."
    "Please to meet you but need to do research in the library. Good luck with the car."
 Across the street workers used pick axes to dislodge old rails used by the Red Cars .I propped myself next to a post and watched with amazement as a piece of Lady Los Angeles was being torn up. A man wearing goggles and a circular saw tried his best to separate the rails, but the steal would not give in. Saw a traffic director  came towards me.
     "Why they digging the rails?" 
      "We are to make a bus stop and also lanes for bikes. 
      "Hey, nobody rides bikes...Just look at the Birdies in Santa Monica. Everyone loves to ride these scooters. City of L.A wishes to make rules for them. Too bad they can't find a way to use these old rails." 
    I then walked towards the library on Fifth and Flower but to my dismay, found a ribbon across the entrance of the Panda Express. I paid a two day late fee and checked out a book A friend of mine, is retiring and leaving accounting to learn French while in France. Though I would give him a heads up. 
    Four floors down in the history department I ordered microfilms of the Chicago Tribune. I needed more information about the Chicago All Star Game of 1940. I removed pictures of the two teams, the College All Stars and the Green Bay Packers. This is my real love, research. 
    My stomach spoke to me. "Fill me or you are dead!"
  Panda was still dead so I took the Hope exit to an eatery and ordered a sandwich before heading for the underground  I was to meet with Connie and Li'l Nell, her grand daughter 
  The Purple Line took me to Western and Wilshire. I walked around the CVS and took it clear to Edris. I walked west to Coffee Bean and saw a large bright brim hat. Connie smiled and came my way Inside the stroller slept Li'll Nell. We were to go to New Park Santa Monica.  
   


  
   
   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment