Monday, July 9, 2018

A Feast in Nate and Al's

"Take the matzo ball soup with rye bread and pickles." 
"Do you wish noodles too?" 
 "Yes, and come to think of it, what about some green tea?" 
      The corner table at Nate's and Al's is the scene on a murky monsoonal day in Beverly Hills California.  The number 14 Beverly Blvd bus took me to Dayton and from there the iconic restaurant was a block and one half away. The tall clock to my right tells me that it is eight o'clock. Stayed in Beverly Wood at the Connie Glickman's home last night  Many of the homes are without air conditioning.  
      Who ever heard of Beverly Hills having 118 degree temperatures? Well a couple of days ago it happened. Few ventured out of their homes. A couple of days ago in Surf City, Home Depot sold out of AC's to the tune of 310 in just two days at an average cost of $300. Huntington Beach's store on Magnolia had been ready for it. 
       At a table in front of me, two old wrinkled blond spinsters give me the eye. Guess my hair cut two weeks ago had paid handsome dividends. Now all I have to do is buy new tennis shoes as my Pay Less soles have been shredded -- so much so that my socks have holes in their arches now. 
       I look back at my table and my order sits waiting for me. I pick up a pickle and bite as head off. This gets my digestive juices flowing. I now engage a matzo ball and let its juices slowly dissolve in my mouth. To my right is a slice of fresh rye bread. It cost an extra two dollars now but is worth it. 
       "Why not," I say to myself and open three jellies and spread its jam over the bread along with a a couple portions of butter. I am in heaven as these members of the table do a dance inside my palate. I squeeze a slice of lemon juices inside my cup and the tea makes me hot and sweaty. What a way to begin my day!"
         I inspect the blond lady in front of me. A walker stands next to her. She must have been some looker in her day of been some looker, i say to myself. She slowly stands,or tries to stand and I notice that her legs are swollen to triple there original size. Her friend picks up the tab and they slowly walk out. 
        The waiter fills my tea holder and I feel happy that I have only a few floaters bothering me. I know that they can be removed by laxer. The tab is brought to my table. The bill is a few cents over eleven dollars. I give three fives to the cashier and am only too happy that i can give my waiter three dollars. That is a lot for me. 
         It is nine o'clock and pick up my book called The Heir Apparent. I am going to take it to the,library and try and renew it. The monsoonal air is a bit heavy but I make it to the library and Kelly's where the AC if free. 
         Yes I am old, but appreciate more the little things in life. 
          
        

No comments:

Post a Comment