Tuesday, December 19, 2017

The Life and Times of s of Amby Schindler

It is only fitting that I write about the greatest athlete to come out of San Diego and play for the Trojans in the late 30's in the eve of the game against the Ohio State Buckeyes. 
    Those who wish an attachment for the 37 and 38 Ohio State games can send me e mails to me ...The following notes of the 1936 game against the Bruins of U.C.L.A. will be provided here. A knee injury prevented the 100 year old Schindler from suiting up for the game against their cross town rivals, U.C.L.A.
     "I missed the last two games of the 1937 season so I sat on the bench wearing in my civvies. It appeared the game was in the bag while I walked across the field with my crutches and turned around before exiting through a tunnel to witness a long pass to the unguarded Herschel for a long touchdown."
      'I returned to the bench and asked our coach if I could suit up. It appeared that Lansdell, my replacement, didn't listen to Jones in the locker room as Hershel was his new assignment. I decided to watch the game until the end which we finally won. Lansdell was caught grazing in their backfield when he turned around to see that his man had gone the distance for a touchdown"
       "Kenny Washington, the Bruin quarterback, was the best gun- slinger that I had ever seen. He had flicked the ball with little effort over 60 yards and hit his man in the eye. He was also one hell of a runner and played great defense.  

My e-mail is chicagoallstar@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment