Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Santa Monica Place and Mattel

"Well Sally, the best way to see Los Angeles and its arteries is by bus. I will meet you at the Marriott Pico at about eleven o'clock....must see my daughter at Coffee Bean first."
   We met in Henderson City about eight years ago. She worked at the Fiesta Hotel while I took a vacation from L.A. We hung out a few nights together and kept in touch. Her marriage produced Baby Ida Rose Goldberg who she brought along. The hotel is off of Beverly Drive and Pico, the gateway to Beverly Hills and Beverly Wood. I arrived at a little after eleven, after four bus connections and two trains.  She waited inside the lobby for me. She hadn't changed one bit, all except now she came with a crawling baby. Her husband was a pit boss at Caesar's Palace and she was a full time mom.
   "Why you haven't changed one speck Sally. Sally was a tall dark lady with a permanent smile. We hugged and...Get the baby, she is trying to go outside...Wow? I have never seen a baby crawl so fast."

The number Rapid Blue Seven arrives each thirty minutes. We bought some fresh plums from the Glatt Market and got on the bus. Baby Ida allowed me to hold her while ladies sat beside us. None could get over how penetrating her eyes were. We got off on Fourth and Broadway and walked to Santa Monica place and up the elevator to the Food Court. Up ahead was U.C.L.A.'s Mattel children's play area.
    We found a table and I ordered a Persian plate of Pita bread, rice, shish kebab, lamb and chicken for thirteen dollars including drink. Sally ate from my plate and cut off pieces of meat for her baby. Her eight teeth had no trouble devouring the meat
    "Did you know that Ruth Handler was my Mom's maid of honor at her wedding?  She developed the Barbie Doll and later Ken, using the names of her kids. They developed these dolls in a garage a few blocks down in Beverly Wood. These dolls sprang Mattel into what it is today. Elliot and Ruth owned horses and I met them at Hollywood park several times."
     Baby Ida was getting antsy so we took her inside the large play area. The other children were older but as soon as we placed the baby down, she tried to emulate the others. A web of ropes covered the play area and Ida tried to stand and did, but fell time and time again. Eager to copy the older kids, she continued to climb steps or have the ropes carry her higher to no avail. For three hours, she would not leave her play pen. Her eyes, yes her big green eyes implored every kid to play with her -- and some did.
    Of course for me, I saw my Mom Edith looking down on us, and even speaking to me. You are doing great and please keep Mel alive. He probably will be looking forward to Derik's Turkey Leg again. I know that the Sea Cliff is a last station before the crematorium but you can do it.
    Well Ma, he has again been scheduled for an ear operation to remove the cancerous bump from his ear...but you know it will never happen. I made sure he got spaghetti with meat balls and changed to turkey sandwiches with mustard...You know how he abhors mayonnaise.
    If Ruth Handler should  be up there, thank her for her play area in Santa Monica Place.

  Nuts and bolts for today:  I am changing so fast I can't keep up with myself

No comments:

Post a Comment