Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Dead meat in Los Angeles

The  Slam Bang Dennis breakfast included pancakes, scrambled eggs, beacon and sausages. Included for nine ninety nine were coffee and fresh orange juice. Dennis is located a block east of Western and Wilshire close to the Wiltern Theater area. Coffee with refills and fresh orange juice is included in the bill of fare.
  The remodeled eatery now had a great AC with great food at a reasonable price. Outsiders came inside to use their one urinal toilet -- and they were gracious about it.
  L.A had another heat wave and I didn't sleep a wink at my daughters apartment Friday evening. But it was worth the visit as we saw Mac Beth at the Landmark Theater in Westwood and enjoyed our reunion.
  It was going on eleven o'clock on Saturday and I wished to return to Huntington Beach and get myself out of the sun. I waved to the waiter for my bill, nine ninety nine. He came to my table.
  "Do you wish me to give you some coffee to go?"
  "Yes, and thanks."
  Sleepy but re-energized, I walked across the street where there was a CVS store. An old man lay over a walker dead asleep or simply dead. A pool of urine and soiled pants told me if alive, it would not be long for the other world. A few feet from him asleep over his bike was another man fast asleep. I wondered if he had overdosed on Heroin or a derivative.
   On the corner was a Mexican selling oranges and across Western a Lady sold fresh tamales. I took the elevator to the ground floor to buy a ticket on my way to Union Station.. I removed my TAP card and paid 35 cents to activate it for my trip. After I tapped my card on a turnstile. I took the stairs to the ground floor to await my purple line train..
   It is always great to forget about driving and allow  buses and trains to get me to my destination. I don't have to worry about cars, other persons or things. I entered the Purple Line train and relaxed. In front of me sat, or shall I say, slept with his legs over the seats. His sidekick, his bike sat beside him. An what a bike.
   His bike had two wheels, one a midget and the other a giant. He slumped down holding a drink. He wore multicolored socks and wore tattoos everywhere. A wry smile told me he needed an audience as they all do.
    The Huntington Beach strand was where I first witnessed these bikers doing all types of tricks. They followed another floor show on the concrete bleachers. There, several gymnasts did all kinds of routines taking turns. After each somersault or swivel, they asked for asked for money.
     But back to the bikers. They came with all types of bikes. Several could swivel on their bike seats and control the bike, have the bike stand on one wheel, or turn the front wheels over and over again, always keeping good control over their four wheel animal.
     But back to the train. The biker wheeled out doing a few floor exercises. I got off at the Seventh Street exit and tapped my ticket to get on the Blue Line Long Beach train. My journey was half over now. The Long Beach train left the station and soon was on Flower Street. And what a view. Los Angeles had more high rises going up to the sky.
     The patrons were diversified. I told a father that he missed his stop and needed to get off at the Pico Station and take the Expo to get to U.S.C. He thanked me. After a stop at Trade Tech on Washington Street, we continued on and stopped at Vernon, Compton, Firestone and so forth. It felt  good to have seen my number two daughter. My own mind did cartwheels on the train.
   We left the Watts station, and continued south to the Anaheim, Pacific Coast and finally my stop at the Fifth Street station. I waited a few minutes and climbed aboard the 91 Long Beach bus, distination the VA building...where luck was on my side. The number one bus waited for me...Not edited yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment