Thursday, May 11, 2017

Surf City Dream

Ever since George spoke to his prostate doctor, His memory has re-harvested long lost memories. This morning was no exception. Since that day in Anaheim he took his advise and removed bread and ice cream from his diet. That was three weeks ago.  
  The night before, he lost his keys and car in a dream, but at least he found his keys when he awoke. While George ate his Trader Joe's Corn Flakes, two names surfaced while he spooned the cereal to his mouth: Rosenberg and Briggs.
   These names snapped,crackled and popped into his head. One was his Greco-wrestling class as a freshmen at U.C.L.A. The other one was a doctor at a medical clinic beside the Huntington Memorial Hospital. But let me go and let George take over.
    Briggs was my physical fitness teacher at U.C.L.A. I took the class in 1958 while pledging the  fraternity Tau Delta Phi. Every other day, we practiced wrestling inside a gym. On one occasion I used a fireman's carry and pinned a large student to the Matt. Unfortunately, Briggs had me up against the same man again. As my asthma flared up, my energy had been snapped and he slammed me to the mat. I turned my head in the nick of time and my shoulder hit with a thud.
   My shoulder never did heal. I learned that nobody could out-distance me in a race or do more pull ups then. It was one of two courses I received a B in at the school. The other class was business calculus. I could not read without any comprehension.
    The other name, Rosenberg surfaced also that morning. Mel had been a patient of his and must have hurt my brother badly the first time. A Dr. Jennings had referred him for that doctor.  Mel told me that he had hurt him and was reluctant to return.
    But Melvyn did return with an appointment to see the dermatologist. A shuttle from Sea Cliff took us to his medical building.  Before we entered the first time, I glanced through his office. Just ass we entered the door, the good doctor must have seen us as I saw a him look at Mel and then the nurse He waved to a secretary as if telling her not to allow him inside.
   The secretary told us that he did not have an appointment. The second time we did, but he screamed that he had no clue as to "why we came." It had been a Dr. Gray who phoned me and told me that the Sea Cliff should take a biopsy...Sea Cliff never received any papers from the H.B. hospital.
     The second time the name cropped up after a Dr. Gray had called me to warn me that his ear infection must was critical. The Sea Cliff had no notes from the Huntington Memorial Hospital that released him to Sea Cliff. 
    Again no coordination or transparency existed then or now.
      
     
   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment