Tuesday, March 21, 2017

A Metro Link Beauty

I couldn't believe my good fortune. Just what I needed to energize my lungs. She wore a multicolored skirt and adorable white blouse for contrast.
   I had just entered Metro-Link at the Buena Park Station and taken one of a few remaining seats on the first level of the commuter train. It felt great to leave Huntington Beach and all of the pollutants. The trains AC would provide the energy for  my tuba to clean its mouthpiece. For the first time in days, I sneezed. And that is when the dark haired beauty walked towards me, yes me, and not the two business men who sat on the  aisle to my right side.
   I had begun to read my book about the history of Russia and got to the part of Ivan the Terrible when  I looked up and saw this breath of fresh air come in my direction. I knew she would sit opposite me. Her short skirt revealed the most beautiful legs I had seen in a long long time.
   Demurely she smiled and crossed her legs. She wore no nylons since her legs didn't need to be covered. A small lump over her waist told me she probably was pregnant. Again she looked me over and smiled. At the  Norwalk stop, the man in the next aisle left, and I wished more room as her gorgeous legs were too much for me.
   "Legs" looked up and I waved my hand to indicate if she wished to take the empty space. She did and I could breath again. I continued to read my book about Ivan the Terrible and his battles with Alexander of Poland. I had  become enmeshed in the history of Russia for weeks.
   The Metro pulled into Union Station at about nine thirty. I allowed the city workers to get off first and followed. I walked to the lobby and downstairs to the underground. i taped my three dollar metro ticket and boarded the purple line train for the  Seventh Street Station.
    Exhilarating I felt after the escalator took me to street level. The soft breezes from the Pacific Ocean was just the tonic I needed. I wished to get to Starbucks before heading towards the library. I felt too worn out to proceed to U.S.C. today and drum up support for my finished Schindler story.
     "Can you tell me where Figueroa is please..I know that Starbucks is on that street."
     "Make two lefts and you will hit the coffee shop sir,"answered the Champion Security guard.
 Beside Morton's Steak House and a tall Korean Bank structure going up, I knew this was the Starbucks I wrote about over a year ago at Christmas time.
   The business people wore tailor made suits with shoes to match. Every fiber on their head was placed to perfection. A legless wheel chair greeted me inside while I ordered a little coffee. With little room inside I took up a seat beside a round white table. Across from me was a Brinks truck and a brick Bank of America. I was mesmerized by the city scene and knew that the thrill of downtown had been missing from my life.
    White socks kept circling me. "Not today but next time will buy you a coffee
   I then walked north and then east to the downtown Central Library. I needed to cross the street as more work was being done underground. Inside the library I checked out a microfilm for October of 1937 on the Herald Examiner Even though tired,  I engaged the football world of Schindler until my stomach told me it was time for Panda.
   Panda Express downstairs had a long long line but the wait was worth it. I ordered the white rice with two entrees and my body woke up. Highly seasoned, I coughed so much I thought emergency might soon arrive. It felt thrilling to note that the Micro Machine had been updated and carefully supervised, unlike the broken one inside the Huntington Library. I could send pictures now to my e mail.
   I retraced my steps to the Seventh Street Station and bumped up my tap card for the ride on the Blue Line Train. Two policeman came on board at Firestone and asked for tickets. Most did not have any and were told to get off at the next station to put money  on their tap card
  After three more buses, I landed back in Huntington Beach, thoroughly invigorated.
     
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment