Thursday, March 16, 2017

A Clear Day in Huntington Beach

George knows a good thing when he finds it. And so it was yesterday when he forsook the Senior Center for downtown Huntington Beach and sat in front of the Java coffee and donut shop on the east corner of Main Street, U.S.A.
  Inside a small bag inside his knap sack were three large eggs and two onion bagels bought from Trader Joe's. A stuffed  belly from the two tuna sandwiches told him to wait till later to have breakfast. Like yesterday, he took the 29 Beach bus and departed on First Street. He walked along Olive and again saw the tubes removing the oil from a lot. The oil drums had to be removed before another apartment could move in.
  He walked west and passed Second and Third Street before making a left on Main Street. The same group of old farts my age or older sat reminiscing. But not for him. He enjoys himself and speaking to his own thoughts. He did relish the men and ladies jogging in their black wet suits towards the ocean. No matter the age, they are in great shape
   Surf boards of every size sat in front of him  for rent. One board spoke to George . "I am lonely, rent me and I will show you how to surf a wave."
    "Not today. But my buddy who will be one hundred made you guys out of redwood and balsa moons ago."
     "Yes, but now we are made of fiberglass and can live forever. You are still invited to join  us on the west side of the pier."
    He walked inside the Java Coffee Shop where a young girl whipped up a brew for another. He ordered a small coffee for the right to sit on their table.  The old farts to his right laughed  and carrying on so, but not me. I broke open the shell of one of my eggs and indulged. I slid one bagel over some butter and creamed it.
    A foggy wave came in for only a few minutes but then the sun came out again. Yes it was a gorgeous day, if only I had gone to the bathroom earlier. The coffee shop had no bathrooms so I had to make the best of it.
    While he munched on an  egg, he  recalled yesterday when I had visited Kaiser to order some bullets or amoxicillin just in case my rescue inhaler did not do the job. All the doctors at Kaiser are Vietnamese so he has to repeat himself.  .
  
 My blood pressure standing up was 120 over 70 which to me meant that all of that walking was so good. While I awaited for my prescription, I met a Rabbi out of Long Beach. He invited me to his synagogue on Atlantic 
  Well here I am again at the Main Street Library, still without any AC. But it felt good to leave the senior center for one more natural, Main Street U.S.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment