Tuesday, December 27, 2016

A Christmas Love Story



Christmas morning I felt depressed and all alone, but happy to have survived a difficult 2016. As soon as I boarded the first bus in Huntington Beach, I knew I had made it. No longer did I have the thought of busing it to San Diego and diving off the Coronado Bridge. Two more connections would take me to Long Beach and their home.
   Two bus connections led me to the street where my daughter's family lived. And I sorely needed a booster shot. I slowly walked up the main street towards her home on Elm Street. Cold, yes -- but the sun was out in her full glory. It was going on Twelve. 
   I thanked God for allowing me to stay alive to enjoy my two grandchildren, A friendly wooden bench asked me to have a seat, to regain my senses and allow the sun to filter inside my body. Cold and rain no more, and thanked God. I continued to Colorado Street, and made a left turn. I felt that I had come to Santa's Village, as each house had a display of cheer. 
   I made another left and saw Santa throwing his arms my way with his rain deer eating some hay Lights and a sled were on the side of the house. Then I walked up Elm to their house. I placed my tennis shoes on the porch and entered. 
   "Know it is a mess. Can I make you some tea?"
    "No not now." I collapsed on the sofa chair and took in the fire place, with two logs  stoking up the flames to warm my hands.  And what is a home  without a real fire place. Scattered  in front of me were toys and more toys. I walked to the kitchen and grabbed a slice of left-over brisket. I must have been starved since I stole two more slices of Derick's creations. Derick is a gourmet cook. My son in law came down the stairs. 
    "Glad you came early, Now you have to remain until Bertha is ready. Bought it at Whole Foods since we only eat organic."  He placed the turkey inside the oven and gave my daughter a slap on her fanny. Yes their home radiated love. .
     I returned to the sofa chair and turned to the fire. The embers made crackling noises that made me think of a song called Crackling Rose. The embers danced back and forth while I tried to navigate red licorice inside my toothless mouth. 
     Allison and Olivia came down and never even looked my way. Why there were too many toys to navigate. As always, the picture in front of me would have Picasso envious. The brisket energized me. I stole  up the staircase to the little-ones' bedrooms.  One had something like an erector set and she hit a switch to make a helicopter sky upward. 
     Allison was cleaning her room and I hitched a few winks inside her bedroom. I played a blanket over my head and that is when my blue eyed angels came charging my way. I grunted and made strange noises. I felt relaxed--must have  been the basted brisket. My body turned over and over again. 
    Now going on three o'clock, I slowly came downstairs since Olivia had tripped earlier from the staircase.  Derik removed Bertha from gas chamber. He stuck a thermometer inside her. She threw up a leg and winked my way. 
    "Fifty, fifty five, fifty six...ah, needs another fifteen minutes."  Derik returned Bertha to the oven. Her left leg hit me in my jaw while she went unwillingly inside. 
    I returned to the sofa and enjoyed watching the two angels, Olivia and Allison. God could not have done a better job. I took them outside to grab a few rays of sun, and to play catch.
    'Now watch the ball Olivia. She didn't and the soccer ball hit her on the noggin. Allison joined in now. She too could not watch the ball -- at least at first.
    "We are ready for dinner." Lauren screamed. We sat and Derik said a prayer thanking God for the sumptuous meal of Yam, potatoes, cranberries, muffins that were set at the table. 
     Olivia grabbed a wing and winged it. She enjoyed the bones rather than the meat, but at least it is a beginning. (Not finished)
       
     
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment