Thursday, June 16, 2016

The Expo Line is Here

The Heat Wave in San Diego still rivets inside my mind. It occurred in 2011 when a transistor up north blew out. Luckily  for me, I huddled at the Lindbergh Airport where a generator kept me singing with nice cool air.  Cars couldn't move, and it took my 992 bus over two hours to return me to the Y.M.C.A.
    Ushering in for summer is another blast from Santa Ana. Temperatures will soar with a Red Alert scheduled for Monday. Like a year ago in Huntington Beach, Sirens did not stop their wailing while trucks towed ambulances to pick up the sick or dead.
    Saturday Night Live, my last blog,  explained how the Five Points Senior Center had no emergency plan for the black out that lasted for 24 hours. A few old denizens never returned, and one had had breathing problems. Yes, there were no generators to work the elevators. The owners, as usual, did not give a dam!

But on a brighter note, I took a chance and climbed aboard an EXPO  Line to my Blue Line Metro. I had needed to file papers for Connie Glickman. Connie had rented a room to Bessie Frankenstein who seemed stable at first, but after she obtained the keys, all hell broke loose. In Connie's own words, Bessie, always dressed in black with her long black hair covering her horse-appearing face, began to do strange things.
    "George, she dropped detergent inside my Gatorade, placed public hairs all over my bed, threw salt everywhere, and what riled me the most, she took three hours baths -- at four in the morning. When I had tried to get inside the bathroom, she kicked and pushed me to the floor."
     "When the police came after my call, Bessie screamed that I had pushed her down. And could you believe that they told me that I would need to go to jail also for assault -- and I am 96 years of age."
    The last straw was when Bessie broke inside my mail box. She had broken my mail box lock and important knew things about me that only could have been obtained by reading my mail"
So that is why I ended up at the West Los Angeles Police Department. Mr. Butts, a detective who listened to the case in-between eating packages of mounds candy, listened but to no avail. He kept looking at his cell phone that is until I spoke about the theft of my mail.
    "Now that is a Federal offence. Bessie can go to jail. And by and by, I have resubmitted you case for a verdict."
   I thanked Detective Butts and left for the number one bus. It was a little after four and the bus took me to Sepulveda blvd.  -- and that is where I took a chance. A Red bus pulled up and I inquired about its destination
   "We are a Metro bus and I will take your to the brand new EXP line. He accepted my transfer and after paying $.35 in a machine, since I am a senior. Thirty five cents is not too shabby.  I climbed some steps and entered one of the cars. It was clogged with other travelers but I didn't mind. Everyone was having a blast.
     The Expo Line begins at the Seventh Street Station and is on the same platform as the Long Beach Blue Line train. All  needed to do was to tap my card and enter the Blue Line.
    The Train stopped at the Palms station, Jefferson and a few others It made two stops across from U.S.C. and a bit later, I found out that I could get onto a Blue Line headed for Long Beach. and take three buses back to Huntington Beach.
     I took another chance but it didn't pan out as well as the first one. The number one bus driver told me that his bus and the Metro-link out of Oceanside do connect. Now I can return from Oceanside and take the long scenic beach route through San Clemente, Dana Point, Laguna beach, Newport and other vacation spots. And I can ride all day for my $1.50 fare.
    The bad news was that my #29 bus was late and I arrived home a bit over nine thirty.
   
.

No comments:

Post a Comment