Thursday, June 23, 2016

Surf City's In 'N Out graduation.

Principal Ruth Davis read the results of the fifth grade class from a grammar school inside the Fountain Valley area of Orange County.  The grammar school kids had been given three choices: Universal Studios,  Disneyland, or the In 'N Out on Beech. 
   Tired after a long stay in Los Angeles at the Ceders hospital, I needed a fix so I took the 29 Beach Bus to the Talbert station and walked across the street to get my battery energized. To my chagrin, a long line of kids warned me to take a different action. 
   Where the cars go, is where I went for my In 'N Out  burger, but the manager told me to come inside and he would give me a number. I felt back in school as I watched these kids run over each other for the famous burger.  Now inside, the cool air made my lungs sing and removed the tar from my bronchial tubes. A teacher allowed me to break in line. 
    "I'll have the Double Double, hold the cheese but add lots of onions and pickles...and oh yes can you give me a cup." 
     "Is that a-l-l sir?...Your number is 77."
      I wrestled for a disabled table and kicked a kid from it. After all, I will soon be 77. I have never seen so many happy faces in the lot. and I felt like dancing. I spoke to a friendly gal and gave her my blog. She told me they needed to buy their own burgers, but they all graduated form the fifth grade grade.  
      "I once taught in East L.A. and began the greatest reading program of all time. Why the Hollenbeck Jr. High School's achievement scores climbed from 3 percent to 23 in one year. It was my action committee that did it." 
       "I also ate lunch with Jaime Escalante just before his Calculus kids passed state test. Did you ever here of Jaime."
       "Sure did. And we saw the picture Stand and Deliver." 
        "His classes soon mushroomed to over 200 and the P.E. department had been so jealous of him they stole his Volkswagen...By the way, do you have any tests for dyslexia?"
        "No we don't but when a kid has problems with reading we ask the parents to take them to a doctor...and what are you doing her today?" 
        My car was stolen from the Five Points Senior Center and an officer told me that the owners had a malfunctioning camera in the parking lot...I see my Talbert bus has arrived and will give you my Schindler book after it is published. 
        "My kids would love to meet an author so don't forget us." 
Without knowing it, I had finished my three dollar meal and filled my cup with more Doctor Pepper. The 176 bus was waiting across the street for me and parked in front of Starbucks. The driver was on a break stoking a smoke a scanning his e-mails. 
         Got to go now and  inside the library to see if finally the microfilm machine works at the Talbert Library.  
      

    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment