Friday, October 23, 2015

The Surf City Pier


15 pounds. Yes 15 pounds less I weighed today. I gave up food for life. No breakfast for me today. Instead, I will run across the Pier and dance to the sounds of the big bands at the end of the pier.

A joyous Friday morning greeted me. Outside my bedroom window a humming bird woke me up. I jumped from my sleeping bag and removed a few bread crumbs and tossed them outside. the birdie smiled and flew away.
  Yes four Fridays ago, big changes came into my life. It had been a blackest Friday of my life. But today, a halo of Red Roses sprinkled my soul . I drove to Main Street and parked my car. Today I would run the pier -- and at the end dance to the sounds of Benny Goodman, Harry James  and the voices of the Ink Spots.
  I ran the one half mile distance of the pier. It felt great to relieve my body of unneeded weight. At the end I did a jig while listening to the big band sound from a speaker outside of Ruby's. Ruby's is well lit diner at the end of the pier- but it is out of my budget today.
  A sheet of fog receded in the west while several Vietnamese fisherman slung their lines over the railings. It is their custom everyday to bring strollers, wagons or baskets to carry their buckets and tools for their catch of the day.
  The sounds of the big bands energized my soul. No. No T.V. for me. Hell if I wish to look at Assad, Putin, Trump or our misguided president. No! For me give me life and liberty to enjoy his creation. My legs could not stop dancing.
   A fisherman lured about five Mackerel over the railings. He didn't even use any bait. And each was quite big. The fog continued its journey under the sea while in back of me the sun began its assent. It felt good to be among happy fishermen. They caught enough Mackerel for several dinners. The bones they used for mulch for their backyards. 
Back inside my apartment, I showered and didn't shave. I would be going to the Synagogue tonight. I cleaned and drove to the Huntington Beach Library. The used book area was having a big sell. 
   Bag as many books as you can for only five dollars. Since my Grand Daughter was having her fifth birthday, I bought ten dollars worth of books. 
  Well I have to go now. I am going to the Rodger's Senior Center to break bread with my old friends and play their large grand piano. Think I will play White Christmas today.

  Cruisin' George says:  Without a song, the day will never end, so throw your flat screens out the window and sing along with Mitch.
  

1 comment: