Thursday, October 22, 2015

The San Diego Commuter Train

I took the San Diego Coaster for the first time on September of 2010. The commuter train took me to downtown San Diego for a few dollars. I purchased the ticket at a machine at the Carlsbad Train Station..
    And I have been training it ever since. Nobody in their right mind wants to take the five to downtown San Diego, unless they have hours to spare and low blood pressure.  It afforded me time to read, write, talk or just take in the sights. I saved on gas, time, and lots of stress.
   The trains movement places me in the womb of my Mom. Yes it is comforting to look through the windows at the Pacific Ocean and a group of Pelicans and one lonely stork hovering over the ocean. to the right I see a few thoroughbred galloping around the Del Mar Oval. Racing Season begins next month.
   Even though I didn't have my $41 monthly senior pass, I had made up my mind to take the rails rather than the stalled freeway. I landed on the seven twenty and the train arrived in downtown San Diego at about eight o'clock. I got off and a one legged-pants homeless one welcomed me. One leg showed thread but the other only flesh.
   San Diego's Lighthouse is Starbucks on the corner of Senator Kettner and Broadway. The 235 Express drops off its passengers just as the 992 bus stops to pick up his patrons. Many work at the Airport while a few are homeless but carry a Compass card. They keep warm and enjoy the sights In much colder weather, the homeless are the first to board at about four thirty in the morning.
  The new library opened at ten o'clock. I paid one dollar and a quarter and got aboard the Blue Line Trolley. This train speaks Spanish and gets you to the border. Thousands of domestics, laborers and those seeking a new country board it each day. A few take advantage of our health system to have procedures done at our hospitals.
  With all the hangings in Mexico, soon a flood of a different kind will be crossing our borders.
  My stop was Market and Park. I felt good to have finished my Amby Schindler Story. He had played football for the Cavers of San Diego and also U.S.C. and at last look, still lived at 98 years of age. I presented my manuscript to two librarians who would give it the once over. I knew being a novice my chance of finding a publisher was impossible. The elevator lifted me to the ninth floor and the California room. I turned over my Schindler manuscript to two librarians and sunk into the computers.
  I looked over the microfilms of 1927 to find out more about the life and time of Charles Lindbergh. A genealogist volunteer helped me verify what I had found out about Schindler's Mom Nellie Parks. The 1920 U.S. Census had them living at 4182 Ingalls Street in the Mission Hills area. It showed Lil Amby to be two years and nine months old. Marjory, was four years older than Lil Amby. 
   His father Charles had been born in the Clay Township of Minnesota. Its census showed that his Dad had five siblings: Chris, Lizzie, Victoria, Lena, and Cecilia. But I was interested to verify that his Mom had an earlier marriage.
   And there in the 1897 Iowa Census confirmed that a Robert Noffzinger was a saloon keeper living with several others in Sioux City.  Nellie was one of them and it looked like Robert was the father and Maud the mother. A sisters name was Opel. Well I did what I had to do. I just love the California room with its old maps, pictures and books. Not too many frequent this ninth floor and don't know what they are missing.
   I returned on the Coaster to my car parked in Carlsbad's commuter lot. What a great two days! 

 Nuts and Bolts for today:  Sometimes a black Friday turns into a Red Rose Monday -- as it did for me!  .

No comments:

Post a Comment