Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Horst Cahn/ #104909


My daughter the other day wondered why I didn't write a story about Horst Cahn, the sole living survivor of a Camp Auschwitz. I did. It is simply waiting for my football story to get published.
  JAnd speaking of Horst Cahn, his 89 birthday is the 25th of August. He is living in an Assistant Living Center in Orange County. And I will attempt to visit him shortly. I found a copy of a incarceration paper that the Germans drummed up before they resettled Horst in a rubber factory operated by Fabian the mother of Baer Aspirins.
   Everywhere in Europe, the Jews were told to resettle in Polish ghettos now run by the Nazi's. Told to leave with a few articles and by when they had to go, they lost all of their properties. So it was with Horst Cahn. 
  Prisoner number 104909 had been picked up in Essen, Germany. Horst Israel Cahn's last address was Hindenburgster.22, and he entered the prison camp on March 5, of 1943. I will never forget his words when he arrived with his parents in Auschwitz.
  "I felt glad my parents were chosen to go the other way to the gas chambers. I did not wish them to suffer. They had suffered enough when they discovered how my sister and baby met their death. The baby taken and thrown against a wall and my sister bayonetted."
    Horst was in the custody of the Reichssicherheits. His reason for incarceration was because he was "Jude-Sch". He was treated inside a hospital named Momowitz-Auschwitz from October of 1943-Nov. 13 of same year.
 Since I ate with this immaculately dressed man for over one year. I understand what he meant when he always said, "I wish to preach love and not hate. Anger only kills." His pet expression when he wished to interrupt, quite often, was "I want to tell you something."
  Yet it was what he did during lunch time. No women was safe within arms distance -- no matter how she looked. He loved the women and often spoke about them. He missed his wife dearly but began to speak at various high schools. Horst was proud of number 104909 tattooed on his arm. 
    He was even prouder that in Washington, he was considered the only one left standing. He loved speaking engagements or the attention he would receive. Like me under the Leo birth sign,  he craved attention
  My May 30 blog, of 2014 revealed his personality. I ate bread again with him at the Li'l Oak Café in Encinitas. He had a few tests in the hospital.
   "So what is the verdict Horst?"
    "Well they found out I am a blue blood. The doctor put some die inside me and found a few blockages. He told me to keep off milk and cheese. That is why so much weight is off of me...so what is it you wished to ask me?"
     "We had 200 inside our barracks with an out house in the back. The German's knew how many calories we needed to stay alive. They served us dried vegetables in soup during the day, and one slice of bread and more soup at night. Some occupants ate half and stashed the rest inside their bed."

More from this and other blogs can be searching.. Horst may be the only living survivor or Table 5 at the Oak Café in Encinitas. Five have passed away since last year and Ron and I remain. Of course the air quality in North County, Encinitas in particular, is dreadful.

  
     
     
  

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to meeting him again. I do miss his humor and smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is also another lawsuit against Antony Gordon.

    Antony Gordon believes the matter will be resolved soon and that all allegations of wrongdoing will be dispelled and all creditors will get paid.

    http://www.lukeford.net

    ReplyDelete