Monday, August 17, 2015

A Sunday Birthday/Surf City

76 years ago Sunday, a strapping eight pound two ounce blue-eyed-blond baby boy was born to Edith and Harry Goldberg. Dr. Rooney at the St. Vincent Hospital pulled me out and was I happy to get out of that dark hole....Well 76 years later, I am still here but not quite as happy as when I first came into this world. I celebrated my birthday at the Pacific Spartan Center  with my brother Mel. It is located in Midway City California, on the tip of Huntington Beach and over the head of Westminster. This scene is the first sitting in the dinning room. 

   "Happy birthday to you...Happy birthday..."  Mel cut that out. I am in no mood. Hell, i have lived since the age of five with asthma. And for the life of me, I just don't understand why God wished me to suffer so?"
   Pat and Betty sit down. I am allowed to eat on Sundays there. I have my choice of chicken or ham. Pat eager to test my brother Mel's Jewish aptitude asks, "Why can't Jews eat Ham." Mel does not know the answer but I do. I order the chicken since the plate already comes with Yam and asparagus. 
   "There is too much bone on this chicken! Why does it have too much bone. Here George, take my yam.," My brother begs. 
   Now as a kid, I hated liver and yams, but today, these choice dishes are my favorites. Mom had one hell of a time making me eat liver and yam back in the day. But today both are yummy treats. Mel was upset two nights ago when the liver was too hard to eat. But give my shoe leather meat any day of the week. It provides more time for me to reap the juices from the meat. 
    All awhile, Benny, a little 89 year old midget fusses with her ice cubes. She returns to her room with ice that she has collected to use as water later on. The little Philippine gal is aware that ice cubes mean pure water. A smile came over my face. A little friendly cheer and good food lent a spark to my birthday. I remember that my daughter number two had called earlier in the morning. 
    "Dad happy birthday. What can i get you?" 
     "You already did...it is on the wall. Each morning i look at my two daughters and smile. I didn't do badly did I?" 
     My desert later on was some little chocolates at Trader Joe's across from my apartment. I bought the ninety-nine cent treats. The cashier seemed disappointed. 
    "Is that it, sir?" 
     The other folks at Trader Joe's bought high end items. Bills over fifty were common place. One lady bought items for the week and several bottles of wine. She had a smile over her face and why not, she would most certainly put one on this night. 
      I sat on a chair to unfasten the little gold bag the chocolates were inside. All awhile, flats and flip flops cantered into the Gap or Big Five. Skate boards went by and a gal left her cell phone next to me. I ignored it. I wished to get the last bit of energy from the hot sun. It had been a heat wave.  I began to eat the last of the little chocolates. A mom and her kid walked by. I overheard the little infant with his new shoes. 
     "Mom, why is it that when the sun goes down it gets cold."  
    And so no longer did I feel depressed. I can get up early each morning and watch the sun come up!

1 comment:

  1. The fog surfed into Huntington beach chasing the hot back out to the desert sea.

    ReplyDelete