Wednesday, April 22, 2015

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Last Sunday, the 20th of April, I found out why some Assistant Living Centers have "Ass" at the beginning of the their title. Like the movie starring Jack Nicholson, the patrons enter sane, and later become "cuckoo."   
   My three o'clock Sunday visit will explain why this one is run by a true Ass-Hole. The Pacific Spartan Apartment is in Midway City, between Huntington Beach and the City of Westminster. 
  He had been kicked out from the first one by Jeffery, the owner of the Golden Crest Assistant Living Center. Another patron knocked him down when he had left the elevator. He bruised his back and one eye had been blackened. I complained and Jeffery summoned the Police to take him to a Newport Beach Motel reserved for the insane.
  To this day, my brother Mel chides me for complaining. The managers spend to much time for their newer cars than regulating the driving inside their domain.
  
I have been visiting Mel for about eight years at the Pacific Spartan Assistant Living Center. The #405 brings you there and it is off the Balsa exit. Across Balsa lies a  Vietnamese cemetery and across his street called Pacific is a auto repair shop. It converted to an Assistant living center later. 
  The smell from the Huntington Beach hits you as you walk to the patio area of the two story complex. In smokers corner several wheel chairs roll up a few drags. Marlboro Gold is the most popular. Coffee cups and ash trays make up this little corner. .
  To the side window I saw the outline of my brothers head. Unsettled commotion hit me from the T.V. room. Now this was no upgraded wheel chair residence. These had to be pushed, pulled or carried from room to room. 
   A few had dozed off. Many needed to have their diaper changed but with no hot water to flush the toilet, that was impossible.  to have their diapers changed as the stench hit me like a dirty diaper. at there was no water. In otherwords the toilets did not flush.
  Again, the stench from the patients sitting in wheel chairs needed desperately to have their diapers changed. A yellow tape lay across the only to downstairs bathrooms. Some didn't care as they were fast asleep, and others had lost their sense of smell.
  A couple months earlier, nobody could enter the living room. There had been another leak and the water and waist spread over the first floor. Another time, everyone had been sickened by some bug and everything needed to be fumigated.
  "Well, Mel, you look well...Do you wish I give you a twenty or some lunch at Norm's?"
  Norms was just up the street on Beach Blvd. street on Beach Blvd.
  "I wish Norm's since only chicken fingers will be served tonight." he responded and rose."
  "Let's wait a few minutes. I am tired." Mel sat and waited 
  "We've got no hot water and besides, many people have become sick with a stomach virus...I myself fell in the elevator but was sent home by the Huntington Hospital...There was nothing wrong with me.'
  Just then Josie, in charge, changed directions and cornered me. Eddie the owner had Sundays off, water or no water. The last time I had seen Josie was when she warned Eddie that I would soon take up a place for dinner. Of course I enjoy the company of others and not the food, but Eddie runs a tight ship and he is the only one who can button down the hash. 
  "Why don't they put in brand new plumbing. It is the fourth time this has happened. And why don't they get real plumbers, not the Mexicans off the street corner, " a inmate screamed.  
   "Doesn't Mel look good...We've had a problem with the water but it will be fixed tomorrow...Mel had been in the hospital for diabetes. Doesn't he look good."
  It appeared to me that Josie was covering up the shit today. Of course dirty diapers is a harbinger of diseases. I then took Mel to Norm's. As always, healthy food brought on a coughing spell. He loves T-Boned steaks. How are Benny and also Pat?
  Both went to the hospital. We have had stomach problems here recently. Also I just don't like it when Eddie picks up all of dead-beats from the hospitals and brings them here.

 Nuts and Bolts: Mel pays $1000 to share a room with another. Like others, he has his diapers changed and is showered and shaved each morning.

1 comment:

  1. It is better to remain at home with a caregiver than go into a a cheap Assistant Living Center. You have no control here and the prepare skimpy meals. It is an oasis of disease.

    ReplyDelete