Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Tuesday's City Counsel Meeting

As expected, nothing had changed since the last time I visited the San Diego  City Counsel. The public speakers not on the agenda had to wait, and wait until the audience had left. The meeting had begun at ten o'clock. The secretary spoke to me about the ground rules before he copied my flash drive onto into his magical computer. His name, also ,was George. His mind showed wit, and lots of it, since some of the Board Members were din-wits.
   "George, let me look under pictures. There Schindler is, helmet and all...Here is your thumb drive. What are you here for?
"I wish to make May 21st, 'Amby' Schindler Day." I answered.
   "You need to place the subject on the docket first..It means you must contact a counsel member  to do it."
    "I am also looking for a publisher for the book."
   Now I sat in the back. The audience filled up and after a few motions had been passed. Those on the dock-it had there turn. A San Diego Post and members of the U.S.O.  were honored. Photos-opts were  taken and afterwards, everyone filed out.The Counsel members yawned and poo-pooed the thought of having to sit through the public speakers.
    The one speaker who I met two years ago pleaded with the silent board. I will try to paraphrase what he said. He was allowed two minutes, like all of us. The Counsel Web-Site was down so I knew no longer would we be public speakers. Unlike two years ago, there were only seven, if you include me. . Two counsel members had their pictures taken along with members of these posts. The gentleman who spoke was the same one who had spoken about two years ago when I asked for an air-conditioner in my Y.M.C.A. Building.
    "None of you on the board seem to worry about the water shortage facing this city. To hell with building a Charger Stadium. To hell with the N.F.L. We are speaking about our lives. What would you do if we turned off your water. It is asinine to put up more buildings."

    In the back of my mind I thought about the dust bowl back South in the early part of the nineties. I hadn't rained in years and the folks in Oklahoma came west to find a new place to live. Those who make it to California were diverted to Bakersfield. I wondered if the San Diegans would soon be leaving their homes and going west towards Portland or Seattle.
    The Black speaker, before me, again spoke about the need to help the homeless, like he did two years earlier. It looked like he had pitched his tent at these twelfth floor meeting each Tuesday. George motioned for me to take a seat in front. It was my turn to speak. Now a picture of Schindler with his helmet was on their large T.V.
   "What you see was the greatest football player to come out of San Diego High School. He also played for U.S.C. and was the Rose Bowl player of the game in 1940 and also the Chicago All Star player in August of that same year...He is still alive and his birthday is May 21st. He will be 98 years old."
   The Tuesday meeting ended early. And why not? It was not a meeting. They didn't care about football or Schindler. Each had eyes that couldn't see, ears that didn't listen, a mind that couldn't thing. In other words, it was another Alice in Wonderland Meeting.

 Nuts and bolts for today:  Another Red Flag Alert in on tab for today. Stay-in-side or go to hotel or mall. The dust storm will hit later tonight. No, I said no exercise between ten and six today.
 

2 comments:

  1. With a water shortage, all they can think about are photo-shoots. Your typical politicians.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In no way should anything but how to conserve water be on the minds of the City Counsel members.

    ReplyDelete