Monday, November 10, 2014

God was my Co-pilot

Fog greeted me at my arrival at the Oceanside Transit Station. From Union Station in Los Angeles, I had taken the Metro-Link to Oceanside from I had taken the Metro-Link Link arrived at the Oceanside Transit Center at 6:30. The Corsica had been parked at the lot. I wiped the fog from my window and tried to make it down the Coast Highway to Dennis. My stomach yearned for their turkey special.
    Earlier that day, I spent it at the  Central Los Angeles Library. A subway train took me back to the Union Station.  The  ten dollar-all-day ticket would return me where I had purchased the ticket, Oceanside. Only on the weekends can you use these all day tickets 
    I drove to Dennis in Oceanside as the train ride gave me a heft appetite. After I had filled my stomach with turkey slices,and mashed potatoes I asked the gal at the register how to get to the 5 Freeway and took her directions. It was still somewhat foggy. 
   I hoped to save $60 and spend the evening at the Aliso rest stop, just outside of Oceanside.  I made a right turn but instead of the 5 Freeway found my way in a line of cars in front of several gates that led to the Marine camp.  The gates were all lit up. I could only see shapes out of my front window. Now in no way did I wish to enlist and told the guard how to get me back to the #5 going north.
  I heard the sound of my heart pumping for help.  The first guard told me to go to the second one for directions. A  tired George asked God to take over. The second guard gave me a quizzical look.  . 
   "Well sir I can tell you are too old to join. What's the problem?"
    "I am lost, and trying to find the 5 freeway."
     "Well see that red barrier. Turn around and at the first exit go right. It will pull you on the Five Freeway.
     "I sure as hell see nothing!"
      The guard walked in front of my car and signaled the waiting Marines to halt for a misguided senior. I found the Five and found the Aliso Rest Stop. It was beginning to fill up. Others refused to drive in the blanket fog. Nothing could be seen out of my front mirror.
       I tossed and turned during the night. I new the freeway was expanding and at my first exit became a staging area for the work. Some idiot wished to expand the road and it would take up to two years. At six in the morning, I thought the worst of the fog had lifted. I did not wish to be the two cabs that had spilled over the barrier and one had caught fire the day the rains came. 
      I prayed and asked God to pilot me safely home. I followed the large white lines to my right.  A mile up ahead was a bright light signaling one lane up ahead. Since nothing could be seen from both windows, I looked at my side-view mirror and noticed a few other lights going my way.
      I edged over one lane at a time and followed a tail light to my earliest exit, the San Onofre one. I returned back to the five and made my way back to Oceanside in one piece. No more will I take the five out or into San Diego. God was all tuckered out. With daily construction on the five, you have to be an idiot to drive to San Diego.
      I will be choosing Metro-Link out of  Oceanside from now on, and if desperate, will pay a few more dollars for Amtrak.

Nuts and Bolts:  Two days later I needed to go pee just outside of San Clemente. A bus drive told me her number one bus goes on the Pacific Coastal route all the way to Long Beach and Seventh Street. In fact it also stops on Beach Blvd. From now on, I will no longer drive the Five out of San Diego. With a pass it cost one dollar and fifty cents, but takes over two hours, the same as by car. 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment