Saturday, August 31, 2013

Seaport Village



    Exhausted, I nap for a few minutes before deciding to visit Seaport Village. My favorite sights are  the  Midway Aircraft Carrier and the iconic statue of the sailor kissing the nurse. 
   The Brick Yard Cafe is my first stop. It sits on G Street in back of the tall Hyatt Manchester Hotel. The deli is parallel to the trolley tracks. I treat myself to a lox sandwich and sit outside since the eatery does not have air conditioning. Many bring their dogs who enjoy the Harbor view and usual western breezes. 
    I have a prodigious appetite for life today. In no way can a mere lox sandwich satisfy hunger. I yearn for Italian this afternoon. I board the Green Line Trolley going south and until Seaport Village comes into view.
   The hot day dries my nostrils so I know my head cold is finally licked. When my stop arrives, I get off and limp towards the Seaport. A crowd of Asians work their large cameras to get a clear picture of their loved ones. They have latched onto the the number one tourist attraction: a large statue of a sailor kissing a nurse celebrating the end of World War 2. All carry an expensive cameras and a few ladies hold umbrellas in place of sun screen. 
   I leave the colorful umbrellas and Bob Hope jokes and walk towards more World War 2 monuments. A pasta cafe sits next to a Greek one. 
   "Well George," I say to myself. "You have a few dollars until the end of the month. Indulge yourself with the pleasure of a spaghetti meal." 
    "Can I have two meat balls to go with my spaghetti meal?"  
   It is a dollar for each meat ball but not one cent for the meat sauce. My budget allows two balls. A merry-go-round is in the middle of the square. I decide to ride a wooden horse for four dollars. I might look older than my age, but today I am five years old. Six other seniors follow me. But I ride the blue one that goes up and down to the music Pretty Baby
   I finish off my day at Seaport Village with a chocolate ice cream cone. The westerly winds and magnificent view of the Harbor puts me into a serene mood. 
   
  On another day I feel like a kid again. I walk to the Seaport Village and stop at Office Depot. It is to the south of Broadway and and east of Pacific Avenue. The store allows me to use their computer to make changes in my document. I can even send attachments at no cost. Yesterday Tony, a long time worker, helped me. 
   "I need to make business cards."
   "Come right this way, and I'll show you a few samples notebook."
  The sample cards were not quite what I wanted. She then moved me to a small computer and showed me colorful samples of ocean scenes. 
  After I ordered fifty color cards for sixteen dollars, I felt like doing something dangerous. In the center of various eateries stood a merry-go-round. One wooden horse looked my way. "Why not?" I said to myself and paid four dollars for a ride on the pretty white one. I felt like a kid again. 
  Several old timers then copied and joined me. My stomach growled for a pizza. I bough a slice and shared it with a hungry Sparrow. A good looking gal tried to pick me up, but I noticed she wore a wedding ring. 
   I said "good by" and drifted back to The harbor. A few drifters and hobos already were in their sleeping bag. A stork viewed me from the top deck of the Midway. The sun  drifts  to sleep. I retrace my steps to my little cell off of Broadway. Now I am ready for a deep restful sleep.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment