Thursday, August 1, 2013

Dancing at the El Cajon Elks

     For old timers like me, my legs need fun and exercise to keep me alive. Soon to be 74 years young, I visit El Cajon on Thursday's or Wednesday's to dance the night away. The old ladies don't seem to bad in the dark, in fact, they are darned right beautiful to me.
     I usually spend my mornings at the Encinitas Senior Center working the computers and entertaining the lunch goers with piano playing. I then drive my old Cavalier Chevy to the Old Town and park it at the commuter parking lot.
    "Hey Si, can I borrow ten for the dance tonight. I am a bit short today?" I am too lazy to visit my PO Box in Carlsbad for my teacher's retirement check. He agrees. Si sits on computer number eight in the Encinitas computer room.
     I take the Green Line Trolley to my abode on Broadway. It is a five minute ride. After I sit on a bench and marvel at the San Diego Harbor, my 500 Hotel is my next stop. I try to nap and eat a little before returning to the Green Line and back to where my car is garaged. It is free and less stressful than entering a city with too many cars and too few parking places. And who needs a ticket from the many meter maids who pay salaries of the San Diego officials.
     I hit the Eight Freeway at about six thirty, just when the rush hour pack is eating dinner to a T.V. and finding out what is happening to sin city San Diego. The sixteen mile trek takes me to Second Street where I exit and go south. It is a few blocks south of Main and just after a long shopping mall with a fitness center to the right.
     The Moon Light Serenade is a fourteen piece orchestra. I had played at the Lucky Star for several years. It is composed of retired musicians and has a good fan base that enjoys the big band sounds of the thirties and the forty's. There is a ten dollar fee to get in, but no extra bar charges.
     Excuse me but the band begins to play their introduction piece, of course Moon Light Sonata. No need for me to ask any of these damsels. That gals come up to me, and why not? I am one hell of a dancer. After dancing non stop for one and a half hours, I feel  on top of the world, but I need to return to Old Town commuter parking lot. It is off the freeway. The Trolleys operated every thirty minutes at night and go to bed at about ten thirty. In no way do I wish to complicate my life with a trip into San Diego.

No comments:

Post a Comment