Friday, October 27, 2017

A Dish Rag in Huntington Beach

Had a wonderful day at the Huntington Park Senior Center. The breaded fish with couscous was just what I needed to awake my hungry body. Of course of few friends at the back table awarded me seconds and thirds. Jim gave me his fish, and Rosa added another along with a milk and crackers.
   It had been a tough week as I tried to live on a few dollars a day. You see, the owner of the Cracker Box apartments on Maggie Street had taken two security deposits and the second one really hurt my pocket books as well as my stomach.
   Before leaving the Senior Center I felt like playing a few ditties on the grand piano. It felt good to lay my hands on the white keys as the piano must have been serviced.  After 'Spanish Eyes', I began to play 'Let Me Call You Sweet Heart', when I heard a thud on the piano.
   "It's Bingo Time and you must stop playing now. You must sign up to play the piano!!
    "Fuck you" I thought but thought better of it and didn't say it. "May, do you have a husband?" I screamed...You don't...Well I can see why.
    But I had better things to do and no dingbat could destroy my serenity. Outside the #25 bus took me to the PCH where the #29 took me  back to my old apartment. They had given me an eviction notice but It was I who was going to evict them!
    Low on money, I walked to the Health Center Nursing Home and asked my brother to withdraw a few bucks from his account. Mel had a five day growth and could barely leave the bed. He withdrew fifty dollars from his  account and signed a paper. We returned to his 136 B room.
    The man in the next bed looked as if he was dying. They removed him as well as his possessions. He had contacted Agent Orange as well as Parkinson's disease during the Korean War. Mel seemed upset that he was leaving as he didn't know what kind of an animal would replace him in Bed one.
     "George, ever since you left they have been treating me like a dish rag. And the two still shout every day and night. My neck hurts and Jennings came in and told me they would take care of the cancer inside my ear."
I left for Trader Joes and later, returned with tangerines and two steaks. Mel felt like eating at four o'clock. He reminded me that his steaks must be medium rare, as I took them to the cafeteria and told them how to prepare the meat.
   Back at my old apartment I took a two hour nap and fell into a deep sleep. When I awoke at six thirty I again trudged up the street to see Mel. He had just been brought two steaks, but I thought what the hell, and indulged anyhow. Both plates included peas and mashed potatoes. Mel ate with flourish and began to smile.
   I put one a Pro football game and we enjoyed each others company.
  "George, when you are away, they treat me like a dish rag. Why they don't bring me hot chocolate and forget to shave me...on purpose. Thank God you are back."
  






No comments:

Post a Comment