Thursday, June 1, 2017

A Slice of Huntington Beach

Exhausted, yes downright pupped, I slithered into Vons off of Beach and took up a chair. Vons Market sit inside the largest strip mall in Huntington Beach. Mary Calendars is the port hole of this large strip mall. The Target Store and Howards are the main patrons. 
   A cluster of round tables with chairs graced the entrance. In front of me was Starbucks waiting for a shark and a in house pizza store. Up ahead were Wells Fargo and the bathrooms with a blood pressure machine at its entrance
   It is three o'clock and my brother Mel wishes another T-bone steak. It appears that he has beaten brain cancer and his left eye lid is opened now wider. His birthday was the 27th and he turned 76 years of age. Of course with the T bone comes corn on the cob.
   But I am tired and hanker for a pizza slice. a couple come in and since I am in no hurry, give them my turn. The man asks me if he can buy a pizza for me and I decline. Things like that just don't happen in Beverly Hills. It is my turn.
   "Take a slice with pepperoni on top....How much?"
    "I take out two bills from my wallet and removed change from my front pocket and dribble coins on the counter .
     The young red-headed-kid surveys his guest, me, and points to a lonely pizza on a display case.
     '"Keep your change. This one is on the house."
   Well now, I am real tired and hungry after a busy day in downtown L.A. I smile and accept the gratuity. The slice of Huntington Beach tastes scrumptious. I devour it and have a bit of thirst. I wonder of all of my missing teeth had something to do with the free cheese.
    Yesterday, I spent all day screaming at a gopher for the manager of insurance at the L.A Board. At least I came up with the name of Hironimus. But now with an inversion layer, I paid a good price for this trip.
    I then rechecked my blood pressure and it was a cut below high, and for me it was good enough. I then proceeded to the meat department and surveyed the beef. I bought a nice looking T bone for eleven and change for my brother and a ugly sister for me. I also bought some cherries, two heads of corn and a drink.
      Two lines were flooded with customers, and the one I chose seemed to have a personality at the cashiers helm. The old man, my age, was bent over without a hair on his polished head. He was deliberate and took an extraordinary amount of time with the two patrons ahead of me. It was my turn and I produced a hundred dollar bill from my wallet. I gave him my Vons card and he examined the bill. 
      "Looks mighty old. Need to check to see if Ben Franklin is good. We've had nine, yes nine phony hundred dollar bills lately."
      The tall Mr. Clean returned and ironed out my change I took my bag and sat down. I drank some fluid and then dug into the cherry bag. There is something about chewing on a cherry and spitting out the seed.
   Now that pizza slice and the pure air inside Von's gave me a lift to get back to my apartment and cook the steak for Mel...That night back at the Museum of Wax, Mel ate the T bone and then some. The food at the Sea Cliff Health center skims the pots of what is needed for survival. Mel not only ate the meat but the part of the bone.
   




No comments:

Post a Comment