Wednesday, July 6, 2016

A Huntington Beach Cutie


As I said in an earlier blog, taking a bus each day has wilted away extra pounds and provided meat for my stories. Think you'll like this one.

  "Can you tell me where to buy the twenty dollar monthly pass?"
    "Some liquor stores can get you one, but to be sure just go to Vons down the street for one'
     A tall bean pole got on the 29 ahead of me. I turned and hear her quip. "Vons is just down the street next to the electric store."
      I sat down across from the sting being. She owned long hair so it must have been a lady. "Thank you, think I can save about thirty a month with that monthly pass. What is your name?
      "My name is Gloria but my friends call me Glo."
      "Much obliged. Do you live in the area?"
       "Over there at the Ocean View apartments. It is a HUD building so I pay $350 a month from two disabilities and there are always openings."
       "Have a friend that is looking for one like that. Tell me more about the building."
       "They are studios with AC and a small electric stove. A bit noisy what with all of the drug dealers and alcoholics."
       No longer was the tall one just a drink of water with falling off flip flops. Why she looked mighty cute to me now. Corse that ever since I began to eat fish instead of meat, my hormones have gone nut. I probed more with my tall cutie friend.
         'Where you from?"
         "Van Nuys area of Los Angeles. Dad had been introduced me to drink and when he became sober, he became my sponsor and best friend. I' m off the stuff now and do my shopping at the CVS. at the beginning of each month.'
           Like I said, Gloria now looked mighty fine to one also off meat for a long time. "I'll check on that apartment and hope to buy you a cherry coke sometime."
          
She exited Atlantic as the 29 bus chugged forward to Pacific. Haze turned to a bright shiny crisp day.  Since my bus route had been discontinued, I needed to walk about half a mile to the Main Street Library. At Orange I crossed the street and peeked into a once,  old corner shack. It resembled a wooden frame house next to the bike store.
     "Are you the owner. Done a mighty fine job making a has been into somebody. It is a one bed?"
      "I am the contractor and happy you like my work. My name is Danny and won't you come inside to have a look."
       "There is the attic with insulation and there is the AC heater. It is now finished and the owner can move in at any time."
        "Bet it cost about fifty to build?"
         "Your right, but he spent another $20,000 for permits and other paper plans. This house is on the same lot as that one that sold for over one million...
         My conversation with Danny continued for a few minutes. His family came from East Los Angeles and the name of his construction company is J.D.G. I continued my walk to the library and knew I would have to live without air for a while. Outside the library and homeless man was eating an orange and scratching his feet.
         I thought about how cute Gloria seemed to me after we had become acquainted. I never could have met this cutie if my car hadn't been pilfered from the Five Points Apartments.  

No comments:

Post a Comment