Friday, November 20, 2015

Surf Cities Good Time Singers

For the second time in my life, I fell deeply in love. Yes , we shared the same DNA in our protoplasm. And what is life without the right blood type?
   Let's back up to the beginning. A new resident of Huntington Beach, I had heard a lot about their troop of seventy singers.  Two months ago, I visited the Rodger's Senior Center to play a few ditties on their grand piano. Inside the main  dinning area, they sang as a conductor conducted and a lady accompanied them on the piano. Several sang solo. I could not believe the harmony and excitement generated by these now-young old timers. Why they became young-at-heart again! Music does wonders for wrinkles.
   The singers left after ten and then I began to play. Of course I began with my Mom's favorite, Don't throw bouquets at me, and a few others. Eleven o'clock approached and I closed the keyboard and looked up. A lady sat all by her lonesome. She looked my way, at least it appeared that way. Andrew the Swede sat down with me. He is always perfectly dressed with he usual quip, "I feel a bit less than perfect." A server brought the milk. I began to open the straw and again looked her way.

Mildred,
Well now. Nothing good happens in life unless chances are taken. I half-walked up towards her and motioned that she join our table.  Slowly, ever so slowly, she stumbled  over and sat. I dared not to gander at her -- scared that it had been a mirage.
    The pork and rice were served. Food now took a second seating. To my left sat the most beautiful gal in the world, even better than Shelly, my first love. I felt scared speechless. I could barely open my mouth to speak.
   Well like mostly all old ladies, she looked like a retread from the thirties; But it must have been her face, yes her face. Well Santa could take lessons on how to smile. I found out her name was Mildred.
     "May I ask what brings you here?"
     "I am a member of the Good Time Singers. I heard you playing the keys and fell in love with your playing. You played the same way my artist husband played.   I ask where you learned to play so, so well?"
      At that point, her eyes attacked me, like a drill bit entering wood. My knees shook and on second look, she had the face of an angel. I did not know if I was dreaming or what?
      "You are the tonic I need. I just buried my fourth husband and need some cheering up."
The above  occurred  about two months ago. I have been seeing more of her lately, and discovered my first feeling for Mildred still held water. I noticed a hop in my step lately and my writing is by-and-by a bit better.
   Mildred's picture I took and shared with you. Now some of you might think she does not look all that cute. But she is a lot better looking than my first love. And guess what? At the Surf City movies, she shares her banana and peanuts with me. I'm mighty glad that Santa brought me her none too late.
The Senior Center has become a memorable part of my day. I love to play the piano and am appreciated by all. This week have been playing Christmas Carols and getting better at the piano. I have the gift to play what I hear. The sound of music make the old feel young again. It tends to relax the mind and give it a chance to unwind....Just wait a minute. A volunteer has just served ice cream to Andrews. She told me that my music reminds her of Liberace. .
  "Why does he get ice cream and not me?"
  "He got the cold meal and with it came the desert."
  I left the Rodgers Senior Center and took Main Street to the In-And-Out. There I ordered a chocolate shake for $2.40. I strawed a few inches and dripped a few ounces of root bear from the dispenser. Of course now it became a root beer float -- which became my ice cream for a day.
   I continued on Main till I got to Bolsa and made a right. Mel's senior center was to the left. Mel was watching the same I Love Lucy Show with others inside the T.V. room.
  "Mel, did you ever hear of the Good Time Singers?"
  "Sure they come here every Christmas."
   It now was four o'clock and time for the dinner Mel had the first sitting and as always was the first to grab a seat -- well almost the first. Bea, the little Vietnamese gal was singing Three Coins in the Fountain. She laughed while Julie grabbed a dish of prunes.
   Yes, without a song the day would never end. (Almost  finished.)

 
   

2 comments:

  1. Falling in love in the fall is great...Isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Good Time Singers practice at the Rodgers Senior Center on Wednesdays at nine o'clock. You too can become a member, but must have a try-out first

    ReplyDelete